Author Topic: PHOTO REQUEST: Wooler Churchyard, stone of Rev. James Robertson and family  (Read 973 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear All,

Nearly 20 years ago (and several computers ago) I found free online and saved a photo of this gravestone. It didn't survive all the upheavals and changes in technology. Now I cannot find it anywhere on the internet. It is not on the Gravestone Photographic Resource.

RootsChatter hanes teulu has found for me that it was erected in Wooler churchyard in 1857.

Illustrated Berwick Journal, 12 Sep 1857
WOOLER

"A very neat and chaste monument has lately been erected at Wooler Church Yard, at the place of internment of the Rev.Jame Robertson, late pastor of the first U.P. congregation, Wooler .... Rev. James Robertson, who died 1855 ....."

Can anyone please take photographs of this gravestone for me?

It is a small obelisk with multiple names on the faces. One of those names was his son James B Robertson died Q3 1869 in Alnwick. From memory, the stonecutter had made a mistake and left the "s" off the son James' forename.

There is no rush for it, but I would very much like to have it again. I can't do it myself because I am a long way away in central Canada.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PHOTO REQUEST: Wooler Churchyard, stone of Rev. James Robertson and family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westoe

I have just returned from a weeks break in Wooler and spent some time visiting cemetaries in Wooler, Chatton and Belford. I saw your post before I left and while we were looking would see if we could find James Robertson.

His Burial was in St Marys Church Wooler. Unfortunately, however the headstone cant be found. A lot of the headstones are covered with moss and ivy or arent secured and have been moved near the Wall. My husband spoke to the wife of the Warden of the church, Margaret Hood and she told him they were in the process of cleaning them up. The burial transcriptions can be viewed inside the church and the public are able to view them. She found the following burials relating to James.

Rev James Robertson died March 29 1855 aged 78 years

Burial April 9th 1816 William Robertson, inf Son Revd James Robertson Dissenting Minister by Jane his wife late Bolton Died April 7th aged 8 mth

Burial August 13th 1817 William Robertson 4th, son of Rev'd James Robertson Minister, Burgher meeting Wooler by his wife Jane late Bolton died Aug 10th aged 18 weeks

Burial October 15th 1851  Jane Robertson late Bolton wife of James Robertson

Burial August 28 1856 Catherine Robertson aged 48 years

I have the Wardens address which I will PM to you. I think maybe if you contact her she might be able to get you a photo when the headstones have been cleaned up.

Regards
Susan

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Susan. You are very kind. I have printed out her address and will write to her. It's been years since I last handwrote this type of letter, but I expect that the Post Office still sells International Reply Coupons.

The son James B. Robertson was my great-grand-uncle. Astonishing isn't it? To be separated by only 4 generations in over 150 years.

Reading your message has just made my day. Thank you.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
PHOTO REQ.: Wooler Churchyard, stone of Rev. James Robertson + family COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Completed at last. Thank you.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 January 22 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Just spotted this, really pleased that you finally have what you wanted.
Its a great reminder that even when we think we are never going to find that elusive record/photo/snippet of info its worth plodding away at it.

Boo