Author Topic: Marriage and Parish burial entries of James Campbell & Janet Caldwell  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage and Parish burial entries of James Campbell & Janet Caldwell
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Need help piecing this family together by finding the marriage place/cert of James Campbell (b1755 poss. Kilbrandon and Kilchattan, Argyll.. tbc  d 1827 Luss, Dunbartonshire) & Janet Caldwell (b1755 d 1829 Luss, Dunbartonshire). Possibly marrying around 1779/80. Have drawn a blank, with Scotlandspeople & IGI.

Both are buried in Luss. On their headstone is a son: John Campbell b.24/07/1795 d.13/01/1865. So far I have: John CAMPBELL was born on 24 July 1795 in Kilbrandon and Kilchattan, Argyll.. tbc.  He married Ann COLQHUON on 30 December 1820 in Luss, Dunbartonshire. They had four children during their marriage. He died on 13 January 1865 in Luss, Dunbartonshire, at the age of 69.
Also on headstone is John & Ann's daughter:Elizabeth CAMPBELL was born on 30 October 1822 in Luss, Dunbartonshire, her father, John, was 27, and her mother, Ann, was 26. She had two brothers and one sister. She died on 2 September 1861 in her hometown at the age of 38.

I think James & Janet were the parents of my 3 x grt grandmother, Jean CAMPBELL born 25 July 1792 in Balvicar, Argyll, tbc. she was one of six children all born in Easdale. She married Lachlane MCKINNON on 5 January 1817, LUSS. Dunbartonshire. They had seven children in 15 years. She died before 1851 in Teangue ? Sleat, Inverness-shire, I am also unable to find her burial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers from Oz
Vicki
Cannon, King, Cole, Sansom, Heaton, McDonald, McKinnon, Mcqueen, Tape, Gash

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and Parish burial entries of James Campbell & Janet Caldwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find the marriage but I note on SP for JAMES CAMPBELL/JANET CALDWELL some children born earlier at Kilbrandon and Kilchattan

JOHN 4/09/1780, MARGARET 26/03/1785, WILLIAM 25/05/1789 & as you know JEAN 25/07/1792, sadly no record for John 1795?

I guess the first John died but no burials in Argyll father James the only one is below?
CAMPBELL   JOHN    - father JAMES CAMPBELL   4   15/04/1784   Glasgow

Possible records for James & Janet?

CAMPBELL   JAMES - JOHN CAMPBELL/MARGARET CLARKE    02/07/1754   Lochgoilhead

CALDWELL   JANET - WILLIAM CALDWELL/JEAN STEVENSON 23/05/1756   Kilbrandon and Kilchattan

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Vic H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and Parish burial entries of James Campbell & Janet Caldwell
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou ColC,
I will investigate further the 1784 Glasgow death of first John. This family is proving to be tricky to trace.
Vicki
Cannon, King, Cole, Sansom, Heaton, McDonald, McKinnon, Mcqueen, Tape, Gash