Author Topic: Celia King and John Turner marriage  (Read 1300 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Celia King and John Turner marriage
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 02:13 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors Celia King and John Turner married 15 Jan 1827 in Southwark St John Horsleydown "by banns" according to several record transcriptions that I have found. While I know I am lucky to find this I am wondering if it is possible to find the marriage certificate where her father would be listed and his occupation. I am willing to purchase it but maybe a date that is before marriage certificates were done this way. I would appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks so much!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Celia King and John Turner marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 19 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi akissling,

marriage certificates didn't begin being issued until 1837; before that you are looking at parish records, and the dates on those vary greatly from parish to parish. If you can get a copy of the parish record itself it might hold a few clues for you, such as the names of the witnesses, but it is highly unlikely to have the father's name and occupation on it. For that, you need to look for baptism records, and hope for the best.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 19 03:18 GMT (UK) »
She is listed on FamilySearch as being born c1805, London and died 28 July 1894, Darling Point, New South Wales. On her death record her father is listed only as Charles.

TURNER CELIA
14881/1894
CHARLES
UNKNOWN
WOOLLAHRA

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both. This is helpful to know. The baptismal record is a mystery but will keep trying. Again, thanks very much for the information!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Are the family in London in 1841, when did they go to Australia
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Looks like her baptism was 9 Dec 1822 at Lavenham, Suffolk father Charles KING mother Mary AMBROSE but there is another entry which refers to all parties as KING late AMBROSE.  As both witnesses at the 1827 marriage were named AMBROSE, that should give you something to look into.

Offline Sumi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage record on Ancestry with just basic details.  Charles KING to Mary AMBROSE  13 Dec 1814 Lavenham, Suffolk.  This is some years after the birth date you have for Celia so it is possible that she was born as AMBROSE which may explain the late baptism as Celia KING late AMBROSE.  There are children of Charles and Mary so tracking them might give more clues.  ...all baptised Lavenham    Marianne 6 May 1815,  Charles 2 May 1816, Anne 23 March 1818 mother Mary Ambrose KING, Sarah 19 May 1818 mother Mary KING AMBROSE.

hope this helps

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sumi! Just to add to the mix the Charles (father of Celia baptized in 1822) that you found was the son of Ann Wissett (1772-1857) and William King. A few years ago someone suggested this might be a line to check on the Suffolk section of Rootschat. Ann seemed to have many children with William but it looks like they were never actually married. I have a newspaper article in Ann's words where she addresses this (is she King or Wissett). Right now I their children listed as Henry (1793-1793), Charles (1796-1860-married Mary Ambrose), Isaac (1798-1820-married Charlotte Clover), Anne (1801-can't find more than baptismal record), Mary (can't find more than baptismal record), Susannah (1805-married Jacob Barringer), Sarah (1811-can't find more than baptismal record), and Elizabeth (married Smith Goold). Some went by King, Wissett King or King Wissett. I added a tree on Ancestry to see what I can flush out from this confusion. I am going to try your suggestion of Ambrose to see if there are children in Lavenham born in the same year. I bought a CD offered by the Suffolk Family History Society and there isn't one Celia in this CD that covers West of Sudbury Deanery. It did provide all of the other children above. I guess it is possible that she was not born in Suffolk or has a different official baptismal name or as you suggested has the surname Ambrose. Again, thanks for the suggestion!

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, yes they are. They went to NZ first and then Sydney.