Author Topic: Glossop Union House Records  (Read 745 times)

Offline Taradem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glossop Union House Records
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I just confirmed that my Great Grandfather did change his name from Cockayne (thanks Ancestry DNA!) so now I am trying to figure out what happened to him and his 2 brothers. After the murder / suicide 1895 William Henry Cockayne and his brother Walter are still at school at the Duke of Norfolk in Glossop but listed as living at the Glossop Union. Further on they and their brother Joshua ended up as servants/labourers in different parts of the country. Are there any records available that would show when they left the Union House and where they went. If not could anyone fill me in on how the system worked then. At what point could they leave of their own will etc. Thanks so much, Tara

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glossop Union House Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
If you are referring to the Glossop Workhouse, then see:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Glossop

At the bottom of the page it says:
Records: Derbyshire Record Office, New Street, Matlock, Derbyshire. Virtually no local records survive.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Taradem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thats a shame. Listed on the school record was Glossop Union. Am I correct in saying that was a workhouse?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Not exactly.
"Glossop Union" refers to the Poor Law Union, which also ran the workhouse.
Civil Registration Districts were originally based on the existing Poor Law Unions, and many retained the word "union" in their title for quite a few years.

As the reference is on a school record, I would assume that the Glossop Union was also running a school?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
They are attending the Duke Of Norfolk School (Junior Boys) in Glossop?
I can see it's online, but don't have access to the records now.
It seems unlikely that this school was being run by the Glossop Board of Guardians.
But the two boys may perhaps have been resident in the workhouse or a children's home?

Offline Taradem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
The previous record of them at the school in 1891 showed the fees so I was surprised to see them still there in 1895 a year after they became orphans.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 19 00:47 GMT (UK) »
The previous record of them at the school in 1891 showed the fees so I was surprised to see them still there in 1895 a year after they became orphans.

They weren't there that whole time:

The record for William Henry in 1991 shows him arriving 24 Aug 1991 and also leaving on 28 Oct 1991, reason being "left district".
The record for the pair of them in 1995 shows them both starting  school on  07 Jan 1895, with William leaving 29 Jul 1896 for work, and Walter leaving 10 Jun 1899 as he left the district.

Flipping forward a few pages, you will see several children from "Glossop Union" as well as several from "workhouse", so the school was making a distinction between the two in their records.

At the beginning of the 1891 book, you can find the Education Board rules; in particular the one saying no grant can go to the school unless it was conducted as public elementary school, and refused no child unless there was some specific reason.

One rule was that each child was to be given a unique number, so if they came and went, they would always have the same number.  For some reason, William's number did change from 1891 to 1895.  Perhaps he was not there long enough in 1891, or just some clerical error.