Author Topic: Which subscriptions recommended?  (Read 668 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which subscriptions recommended?
« on: Monday 11 March 19 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking for recommendations on where best to spend my hard money!!!
I’ve been researching on and off for 10 years or so - all based in Ireland.  I have had full Ancestry worldwide membership which honestly gave me little until I did my Ancestry DNA and started to make a few connections. I have retained membership at UK only as it was my cheapest option to keep active membership but I am finding I click to open hints and I just don’t have the right level of membership.   I used to use Rootsireland when it was pay per view and made some breakthroughs there sporadically. Now it’s membership subscription and wondering if it’s worthwhile. It’s not cheap.  The free Irishgenealogy.ie has been awesome as so much of my ancestry in Dublin based but it’s got little else to give me for other areas including Belfast.

I’m finding some interesting connections via Truelines so I have some new leads and questions- wondering my best approach as I can’t afford it all and come and go sporadically when I have time.

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which subscriptions recommended?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I do realise that the Ancestry subscription I have needs to be UK Heritage plus in order to get Irish records  - I might upgrade on renewal but I’ve always been frustrated at how little Ancestry records I’ve been able to see - always so much more elsewhere!!   

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »

The free Irishgenealogy.ie has been awesome as so much of my ancestry in Dublin based but it’s got little else to give me for other areas including Belfast.

Irishgenealogy.ie has all the Northern Ireland records up to the end of 1921 (subject to data protection rules).

You haven't mentioned GRONI in Northern Ireland, which covers all Northern Irish BMD records back to 1864 (and 1845). Online you can purchase credits, search for your ancestors and view them online.

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

The birth/civil marriage/death records can be searched, and choosing the "full" option (5 credits £2.50) lets you see the digitised image of the original record.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Many of the services will allow you to have a free trial period. Also if you register with them by creating an account, but not giving credit card details they occasionally have free weekends which will give you an opportunity to try them.

Martin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Check out the resources here on RootsChat
For example Antrim
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/antrim-resources-offers/
and Ireland
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ireland-resources/

There are a lot of free sites for Ireland, many of these are simply repeated on the pay sites.
A lot depends on what you are looking for and which dates you need whether any pay site is worth joining.