Author Topic: A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934)  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934)
« on: Monday 11 March 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to complete the life cycle of one Herbert WEST, born in Marylebone, London in 1874. He married Ellen Elizabeth Liquorish (b 1877) from Rockingham in London in 1898. The marriage soon faltered and she returned to her parents home in Cottingham.

Herbert worked all his life for the railways (mainly Great Western and Central London). He retired in October 1934. I have traced him to Cardiff in 1937 and he is present in that city in the 1939 Register. With him is his wife Nellie (born March 1881). - the disparity in birth dates make it unlikely that Nellie is a pet name for Ellen!

The curiosity arises in that after his first wife died, Ellen's brother Robert married Flora West - Herbert's half sister - in Ashby de la Zouche in 1923. Is it a coincidence that a Herbert West married Nellie Searle also in Ashby de la Zouche (7a 325 OND 1934)?

Regards Alan 
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »
No birth reg for a Nellie Searle and no Searle birth 1881 in Leics although plenty elsewhere so presume Searle could have been a previous married name

Any death reg for Ellen Elizabeth pre-1934?  Possible in 1905 in Sculcoates which was the reg district for Cottingham but age is out.    If not - is she on the 1939 register

The only other way to find out is to buy a copy of the 1934 marriage cert

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I am pretty certain (based on the given birth date) that Ellen West died in (the Kettering District) in 1972.

I was more or less resigned to obtaining that marriage certificate if only for the allied information: groom's father and the names of witnesses.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:11 GMT (UK) »
What birth date have you got only there is an Ellen Elizabeth death in 1973 Northampton.

The 1972 one is just under Ellen.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Ellen Elizabeth Liquorish (b 1877) from Rockingham in London

June qtr 1877

Ellen Elizabeth Licquorish     Uppingham 7a   347 (Uppingham is Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire)

she returned to her parents home in Cottingham.

There is also a Cottingham in East Yorkshire hence mention of the 1905 death in Sculcoates RD. 

Possibility that "Nellie" was previously Nellie Barton - I'm still digging.  Without knowing the location of the marriage (may have been a registry office do) it can't be looked up in parish records
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
If Ellen Elizabeth's brother married Herbert's half sister - surely Herbert would steer clear of using the same area for a marriage if he was a bigamist? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Herbert died 3.6.1942 and administration was granted to his widow Nellie and to Grace Winall wife of Arthur George Winall

Grace West married Arthur George Winall in 1896

Grace West was Herbert's twin sister

Have you seen the 1939 Searle entries on the same page as Herbert & Nellie? 

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millipede

I don't have an actual date for Ellen Elizabeth but she was born in Harringworth and registered in Uppingham  (7a 347 AMJ 1877). She was baptised in the family church of St Leonard, Rockingham on July 25th 1877.

She was living at Brickfield Cottages, Rockingham Road, Cottingham with her father in 1881 and again (after her marriage) in 1911. Her father is still living there in the 1939 Register. I haven't found Ellen (as West) yet.

Hi Carole

I have to admit that that I do not like coincidences but which of the following are exactly that?
Given the above dates, the death of an Ellen West with birth date May 4th 1877 was registered in Kettering in 1972. Surely "my" Ellen Liquorish? But no: I found Ellen, the wife of Walter, with that same birth date in the Rothwell 1939 Directory. (I think she was born Ellen Cross and married Walter in 1901)

I also found the Searles in two households on the same page as Herbert West in Cardiff 1939. Is this a coincidence?   Jesse Searle was a train driver; Noah Searle a labourer for the Great Western Railway - now both retired: same company that Herbert worked for for many years.

I still haven't found a positive reference for Ellen after 1911. Anyway the West / Searle certificate has been applied for.

Alan 

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
It is what makes this game worth while..  help like that on Rootschat :)

brilliant

Xin

ps Carole and Millipede come and tidy all my loose ends please. :) :)