Author Topic: John Wood born c1798 Whitstable.  (Read 668 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
John Wood born c1798 Whitstable.
« on: Monday 11 March 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
This John Wood is my 4xgreat uncle and is from the same part of my family as the John Wood in my previous post.

John Wood b1801 Kent  piece475 book8 folio21.

John b1798 Whitstable  piece1626 folio414 p12.

He married Susan Jacob on 04/06/1825 in Faversham.She is with him on 1841/51.On the 1861,theres no sign of him,even though Susan appears to still be married.

1861 Susan Wood born 1806 Faversham.Piece526 folio190 p17.

Please can anyone expand on what ive got.Particularly any possible baptism info,and who his parents were.Also,where was he on the 1861?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline bicker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Wood born c1798 Whitstable.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Have you looked at the John Wood, lodger living at Ospinge in 1861. 562/151/37 correct year of birth, giving his place of birth as Preston. Kent.

In 1871 he is at the Kings Head, Abbey Street Faversham, John Wood b Preston. with his is a Mrs Wood, born Faversham, but not the same year as Susan (Susanna). Have you found her in 1871

Can not find a John Wood in 1851 with that place of birth

Heather
Somerset
Areas Bridgwater, Street, Glastonbury and surrounding Villages

Names, Whitcombe (and variations) , Diment, Mounsher, Cave

Wiltshire
Areas Pewsey, Calne
Clements, Ashton, Henly, Groves, Burgess

Kent
All, Folkestone for Punnett family
Punnett, Roalfe (and variations), Vaughan, Tuff,

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: John Wood born c1798 Whitstable.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply.

I had noticed the 1861/71 entries and thought they were possibilities.On the 1851 his birthplace is given as Whetshable(Whitstable),but living in Preston,Faversham.Whitstable and Faversham are 2 towns about 8 miles apart.The other connected Wood family ive been looking at were baptised in Canterbury,but are occasionally shown as born Faversham.Im familiar with the area as I grew up in Faversham,most of my paternal ancestors lived and worked in Preston,on the northern  flank of the town,and around upper and lower brents,next to the creek.They worked in the main industries of gunpowder and bricks,also loading them on the thames barges and sailing them up to London.

The thing that initially put me off the 1861 entry for John Wood b1798 Preston next Faversham was I thought it said "unmarried",but looking again,i think its just one of those ditto things for the word "married" above it.So he could have been living separately from his wife.On the 1871,born 1798 Preston,Kent,he is shown as married.You said hes with a Mrs Wood,born 1815 Faversham,but the ancestry census suggestions seem to have it as a shortening of William Wood born 1815 Faversham.Looking at the actual document,its hard to tell.

The only possible death I can find for his wife Susan is a/m/j 1864 Dover,but ive no idea,if it is her,why she would have ended up in Dover.I cant find her after 1861,so it could be her.

Also,i can find no local marriage for John to a new wife between 1864 and 1871.If it is William rather than Mrs,i also cant find him on any other census.Nor can I find a death for John.Any other help much appreciated,im particular:

A death for John,or any other census entries after 1871.
Any thoughts on whether hes with a new wife or William on 1871.If its a new wife,who is she.If its William,where is he on other census?

Is the 1864 death Susan,if so,why has she gone to Dover?

Would others agree that the 1861 has him as still married?

The other thing that occurs to me,if the 1864 death is his wife,then it must be Mrs on 1871,as hes shown as married,but it really does look like a shortening of William.

Any more help or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.