Author Topic: Unexpected results using Gedmatch  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Nameuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • It is a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected results using Gedmatch
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 March 19 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Do these matches have the same contact person?
Yes.

Those are likely links of an uncle or aunt to a niece or nephew, or a grandparent to a grandchild, half siblings, or double first cousins.
The top looked progenitor/offspring to me. Followed by half sibling. Followed by half nieces/nephews. That was what I was thinking of the results.

When I transferred from the usual Gedmatch to Genesis, It brought up about a dozen bizarre matches which were an error.

You could identify them because, although they showed on the one-to-many list, some very high up my table ( 9 in the top 70), if you went further, and did a 1-to-1 match comparison, it told you you had 0 cM of common DNA.  I had to email gedmatch, and they resolved the problem!!

In the attachments of my 2nd post are a couple of the 1-to-1 comparisons. They're consistent with the one-to-many match results; very high in cM count.

I'm still somewhat expecting (hoping?) it to be an error of some kind.

Offline ConfusedMason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Do these matches have the same contact person?
Yes.

Those are likely links of an uncle or aunt to a niece or nephew, or a grandparent to a grandchild, half siblings, or double first cousins.
The top looked progenitor/offspring to me. Followed by half sibling. Followed by half nieces/nephews. That was what I was thinking of the results.

When I transferred from the usual Gedmatch to Genesis, It brought up about a dozen bizarre matches which were an error.

You could identify them because, although they showed on the one-to-many list, some very high up my table ( 9 in the top 70), if you went further, and did a 1-to-1 match comparison, it told you you had 0 cM of common DNA.  I had to email gedmatch, and they resolved the problem!!

In the attachments of my 2nd post are a couple of the 1-to-1 comparisons. They're consistent with the one-to-many match results; very high in cM count.

I'm still somewhat expecting (hoping?) it to be an error of some kind.

Have you emailed them?

Probably not an error.

Offline Nameuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • It is a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 19 02:02 GMT (UK) »

Have you emailed them?

Probably not an error.

Sent out an email. Been a few (3) days. No response yet.

Tried to keep it casual(?). 'Hey, noticed we seem to share a lot of DNA. This is my kit number on Gedmatch; you may want to take a look at the 1-to-1 comparison to these kits you manage. Feel free to email me'.

Don't know, how does one broach such a subject (?).

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Don't know, how does one broach such a subject (?).

Very Carefully

Given the possible relationships ( dnapainter gives both options 100%) is there no one you can discuss this with to gain more insight before contacting the other match.

PS good luck with the email _ I've tried 8 different contacts through gedmatch and only one replied  :(