Author Topic: Is it possible to turn off predictive text on Kindle Fire?  (Read 5154 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is it possible to turn off predictive text on Kindle Fire?
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to do this and if so can someone explain in an easy to understand way?  Someone told me they think it Is possible but they don't know how.

I am constantly having to check and edit as my predictive text has some weird and wonderful replacements at times. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to turn off predictive text on Kindle Fire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
It is okay, someone has just advised.  I think I have now found the solution in switching off some of the options in settings.

I think problem now sorted.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
https://www.technipages.com/kindle-fire-auto-correction

that article suggest that yes you can.

Though I am not sure that it would affect 'every' app you use, there may be settings within an individual app that over-ride the global setting?

I'd start with what it says in the article and see if it does what you want, where you want.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
oops my post was a little late as you have sorted it, but that article may help someone else :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »
On mine, I went to 'keyboard and language'. 

Then to current keyboard settings.

Oddly autocorrection was already off.

Then I turned off 'show correction suggestions' 'auto-capitalization' and 'next-word suggestions'.

I think all of this might have sorted the problem as I have tested this with phrases which resulted in right bloomers in the past. 

This includes when I once wrote to someone on here 'thank you for your peace making' which turned into 'love making' :o. Thankfully, I noticed that bloomer in time.  ;D

I also found once that my line .. 'my ancestor was a hawker of cotton' became a ..'basket of cotton'.  Oh and I will never forget the mirth when my post related that there would be 'internet at Gateshead' in a burial look up.

At least now hopefully, my errors will all be my own and not due to my (seemingly) prankster Kindle. ;D

Thank you anyway Boo for trying to help, when you didn't realise that this now seems sorted.  As you say, this might all be useful to someone else too. :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »

A thread on Autocorrections could be hilarious....   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.