Author Topic: McLauglan or McLaughlin and McErlaine Further back  (Read 699 times)

Offline MKREIJNS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLauglan or McLaughlin and McErlaine Further back
« on: Saturday 16 March 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am living in Holland and have Irish forebears, but I'm hitting the famous "brick wall"

This is what my grandmother wrote:
1."Alexander McLauchlan, “a agricultural Labourer”, married Sarah Mc Kane about 1820?? In Dunean, Ireland. About 1820 William, their son was born. They lived in Grange".

2."Thomas McArlailaine* or McErlaine, a farmer, married Rebecca McAllister about 1820 ?? in Ireland. About 1823 Sarah, their daughter was born"

Thomas and Rebecca’s daughter Sarah McErlain married William McLaughlin on 26 August 1840 in a Catholic Church in the Parish of Dunean in the County Antrim, Ireland. Father Denis MacGreevy married them. I have found the marriage document and could go from there up to my birth in 1949. So if anybody is interested I would gladly share my findings as from 1840.

Could anyone help me to find documents of the marriage Alexander and Sarah and birth of William?Could you help me to go further back on both the McLaughlin's and the McErlains?

Kind regards,

Michael Kreijns

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLauglan or McLaughlin and McErlaine Further back
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
The dates you are looking for are well before the start of civil registration (1864 for births, deaths and Catholic marriages, from 1845 for non Catholic marriages) so you will have to depend on available church records.
The online (free) registers for Duneane R.C. Parish start 1834 for baptisms and marriages. I can't see anything earlier listed from other sources. Most Catholic churches did not keep burial registers.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0412
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MKREIJNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reaction.
Do you think there are records to be found in Dunean parish which were not digitalised yet?
If not this is the end of the search.
Kind regards,
Michael

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
The dates you are looking for are well before the start of civil registration (1864 for births, deaths and Catholic marriages, from 1845 for non Catholic marriages) so you will have to depend on available church records.
The online (free) registers for Duneane R.C. Parish start 1834 for baptisms and marriages. I can't see anything earlier listed from other sources. Most Catholic churches did not keep burial registers.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0412

Unlikely to be earlier surviving records but you can use the Parish site to check neighbouring parishes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MKREIJNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I have to accept that I will not be able to get further back.
Thank you very much for your help.
Kind regards,
Michael Kreijns

Online aelish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 24 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I would be interested in seeing your research on the descendants of Sarah McErlain and William McLaughlin. And, any further information you have on Sarah and William as individuals.

I believe they had a daughter baptized Rebecka on 26 DEC 1843 and am interested in any information you may have on her going forward from 1843.

I have a great, great grandmother named Rebecca (McLaughlin) McNally and wonder if Sarah and William are her parents.

thank you!
McGrath, Magennis, McKay, Kissling, Costello, Barr, Logue, McLoughlin, McNally