Author Topic: WW1 RN record missing date & HMS Powerful movements  (Read 503 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 RN record missing date & HMS Powerful movements
« on: Saturday 16 March 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Can the goodly experts here tell me if the attached clip from a WW1 RN record is accidentally missing its service end date following a start date of 12 May 1915? And is it possible to say where Powerful was between May and December 1915 - and, specifically, if she was in port somewhere during that time?

Many thanks in advance,
Flemming.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 RN record missing date & HMS Powerful movements
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
HMS POWERFUL went into refit in 1902 until 1904 when she went into the reserve fleet. She was used for harbour service in 1912 and from 1915 she was used as a training ship at Devonport until the late 1920's, she was renamed HMS IMPREGNABLE II in 1919. She was finally scrapped in 1929.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Seaweed, thanks for the reply.

I've attached a crop of another service record involving Powerful which shows the man serving from 14.3.1914 to 23.10.1914 - would she have been a training ship in Devonport at this time as well?

Defiance is the next ship for this man - from 24.10.1914 to 7.12.1914 - do you know if this ship was also in port or out at sea?

Thanks, Flemming.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
HMS DEFIANCE was a wooden sailing ship built in 1861. She became a training establishment at Devonport/Saltash (Torpedo and Mine) in 1884 until 1931 when she was scrapped. She has a logbook for the period you are concerned with. Available from TNA Kew.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1503960
see also
http://www.brucehunt.co.uk/HMS%20Defiance.html
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022