Author Topic: Emma Etteridge - did she go to America  (Read 620 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Emma Etteridge - did she go to America
« on: Sunday 17 March 19 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have Emma Etteridge born 1849 Upper Norwood Surrey England to Sarah Etteridge with no father, who may have travelled to America.

There is an Emma Etteridge aged 24 arriving in New York 3 May 1872 about "Great Western".

Not having had to deal with American records before I have no idea on how to trace her to see if it the right Emma Etteridge.

Be imaginative with the spelling, it seems to vary a lot, I usually seearch using Et*ge.

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mirl
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Etteridge - did she go to America
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 19 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 19 05:07 GMT (UK) »
The manifest says her destination was New York. Other passengers gave destinations other than New York, so it didn't just refer to where the ship was arriving. Most of the destinations on her page were states, though, not cities (except for Chicago), so she might have been headed to somewhere in New York State. I'd bet on NYC though, at least to start.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPV-YZBF

Maybe she stayed in New York. Does she show up on any city directories in NYC? Females were not listed nearly as often as men, but it might be worth a try for a few years after 1872.

I tried familysearch for anyone named Emma with a mother named Sarah E*dge, residence: United States, but didn't find anyone. You could try that at other sites and see what you find.

Did any known siblings or close relatives emigrate to the US? Could she be with them?

I tried familysearch for anyone named Emma, born in England between 1848 and 1851, living in New York, NY, and narrowed the search to leave out birth records. 731 Results.  - You could go through them and eliminate all the ones that weren't wives, then all the ones who had children born in the US before your Emma was old enough to marry. Or before 1872 if you come to trust that passenger to being her. Then take a closer look at each.

I only looked at the first page of results, but by the time you get a few pages in, you might be able to eliminate all of them, as familysearch widens the field of possible matches - they might start showing people with a different given name and a middle initial of "E" for example. Or residences farther afield.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 19 05:15 GMT (UK) »
or just Google her, with or without her place of birth, residence, names of family members, etc. You never know what you'll find. Probably this thread :)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 19 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Emma's mother married December 1851 to Stephen Wickenden so perhaps try the search again with the mother as Sarah Wickenden.

I am trying to look at the 1875 New York State Census on familysearch but not sure i am being to successful with that just yet but will struggle on.

Tried googling too, but nothing stands out there either.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Emma's mother married December 1851 to Stephen Wickenden so perhaps try the search again with the mother as Sarah Wickenden.

I looked for anyone named Emma born in England, living in the US, with a mother named Sarah W*k?nd?n. There were no matches.

So, if she came to the US, then 1) if she married, she married and died before that information was asked for on the records, or 2) her survivor didn't know her mother's name or 3) the record is so poorly transcribed and/or indexed that it is "unfindable",  or a combination of any of the first three, or something else.

Are there any other Emma Etteridges anywhere after she was last seen? It does sound like you've eliminated most other possibilities, since you have a thorough record of the other members of the family.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Or she lived in a state where the records aren't online, or at least not at any of the general sites, like familysearch or ancestry.com.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 March 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the time to look.

While not successful now it's not a complete dead end just yet.