Author Topic: Please help me find my father!  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find my father!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 March 19 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is any info about your father on your adoption papers?  It's a slim possibility

Yes I would try the adoption papers first - but there is a different protocol to this which results in the social services being involved - not that you are not entitled to see your records - but see if you are ready and able to cope with finding out who your father may be - your mother may have said little in regard to him - but that little may well go a long way - especially if your father is of foreign descent - you need to go back to whichever social services dealt with the adoption - even if this has since moved the files are usually in the nearest local office to the original adoption - I would recommend this first to see if it gives you any information to give to the Salvation Army - who would have also keep records of your mothers request - nothing in this line of work is quick - it takes a long time to find old files - but hopefully will give you what you need - but remember this gentleman has failed you once - he may well fail you again even in death - hence why social services are at hand to help you through this - but only on the grounds you wish it - all the best with this . . . 

Offline traceyjanesykes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 March 19 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Carole & Indiana. I will look into trying the adoption papers. I'm worried that he won't be on it though seeing he is not even on my original birth certificate. Is a father still required to be on adoption papers if he isn't listed as the father on my birth certificate?
Thanks again for both of your help it's really appreciated.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 March 19 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Carole & Indiana. I will look into trying the adoption papers. I'm worried that he won't be on it though seeing he is not even on my original birth certificate. Is a father still required to be on adoption papers if he isn't listed as the father on my birth certificate?
Thanks again for both of your help it's really appreciated.

No - but information may be found on the adoption papers you wouldn't elsewhere find - eg: the reason for adoption - father failed to give child support and has since disappeared - last seen 19?? - sailor - origin - ?????? - the name may have just been given - as you may have effectively become a half cast of two nations - origin could be seen as important if nothing else - but believe nothing until you know the truth as your mother may have said anything to divert to who this man really was - never do you mention her death - that she just left - a recheck on where your mother may have gone might not go amiss - maybe she is able to cope with it now better if she is still alive or left any info with a friend should you later one day show up asking - hope so . . . ; )

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 March 19 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi TJS, welcome to RC!  ;)

I don't envy your task but I really feel for you!

To follow on from the others, did your mother have any siblings who may know something or passed any info. down 'on the quiet' to your cousins?

This may also be worth a try?

Good luck with SA papers!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 March 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I think your mother was born in Lancashire 1942 and had twin siblings born 1952 plus 2 others born 1944 and 1950. 

Are you aware of these siblings?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 March 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Reply 4, surely?

'So my uncle and aunties on my mother side are also unaware of his name.'

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 March 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Missed that one  :(
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline traceyjanesykes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 March 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
Thank you for all your help.
I have had a reply from SA, unfortunately they don't keep those tracing records if it's before 1988. But I found my uncles business in the UK, (my mothers brother) and have called and left a message. Hopefully he may know something and i hear back soon.
Would a DNA test on Ancestry, or MyHeritage be better?
Thanks for all your help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 March 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Would a DNA test on Ancestry, or MyHeritage be better?

Go for whichever is the cheapest -  results will be the same