Author Topic: Stuart (Stewart) Glassford McDonald from Inverness  (Read 536 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuart (Stewart) Glassford McDonald from Inverness
« on: Sunday 17 March 19 22:24 GMT (UK) »
While you are at it, do you have any information on Stuart (Stewart) Glassford McDonald from Inverness who came with his parents John and Mary (nee Stuart) to Sydney on the Gazelle? He was born about 1837 and arrived about 1846-47. He was married at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney in 1957 to Margaret Theresa McNamara, who originally hailed from County Clare. The Glassford middle name is in the marriage papers and he gives his age as 20 and occupation as stockman. Any help appreciated. I know a fair bit about his later life and children etc (but have no death details) but am keen to get the emigration details firmed up. Thanks, Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Emigration from Scotland to Australia- James Morison
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
While you are at it, do you have any information on Stuart (Stewart) Glassford McDonald from Inverness who came with his parents John and Mary (nee Stuart) to Sydney on the Gazelle? He was born about 1837 and arrived about 1846-47. He was married at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney in 1957 to Margaret Theresa McNamara, who originally hailed from County Clare. The Glassford middle name is in the marriage papers and he gives his age as 20 and occtupation as stockman. Any help appreciated. I know a fair bit about his later life and children etc (but have no death details) but am keen to get the emigration details firmed up. Thanks, Geoff

;D  ;D

Until you posted,  .....the thread dates from 2005 ...

I will look up some of my offline resources later today  ;D....  to see if I have anything to help.   You will find lots of live links to check out at the Resources Board.  I am sure the marriage was not 1957.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, 1857. And I didn't notice how old the thread was, so apologies for that as well.

Geoff

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

I don't see a link in the OP's post with your own based on place names (maybe I'm wrong) i.e. if this is the case it may be an idea to create your own request post with all the details you have for further help?

I am looking for a James Morison forn November 4 1832 Burntisland, Clackmannanshire who emigrated to Australia.  He married Elizabeth Young (born 5 September 1851 in Kilwinning, Ayrshire) in the Scots Church, Melbourne, Victoria.

Burntisland is in Fife i.e. I'm unsure of the Clackmannan connection here?

Inverness is 100s of miles away from either of the above.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 19 00:09 GMT (UK) »

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Annie,

I already have a thread going on this topic

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807898.msg6700403#msg6700403

That did not mention Scotland specifically (except to say Stuart McDonald was born in Inverness) and when I saw the James Morison thread where a member had access to Scotland-Australia migration information I thought I would stick my nose in there in case I could get more specific info.

I later realised it was coming from JM who has been helping me on the other thread. Probably not the right way to go about it.

Apologies.

GEoff

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 19 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I've posted on related thread which seems the best place as it's Scottish info. rather than Aus.

Annie

Add, I have read your post Geoff which showed up when I was posting mine  :)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 March 19 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 19 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  Apologies that I had James Morison from the wrong county, I now know he was from Burntisland in Fife.  In fact since this post was first posted on Rootschat I have visited Burntisland and established  more information about the Morison and Garnoch families.

James Morison was baptised  4 November 1832, Burntisland.  He married Elizabeth Young in the Scots Church, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 31 December 1857 and he died in Collingwood a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria in 1907.  His occupation was plasterer.

James was the son of Alexander Morison and Helen Garnoch (their gravestone was still in Burntisland churchyard a few years ago when I visited). Alexander Morison was baptised on 5 october 1796 in Burntisland, married Helen Garnoch on 3 Setpember 1830 in Burntisland and died in Falkirk on 5 February 1871.  Alexander was a customs and excise officer.  Helen Garnoch was the baptised 13 September 1798 in Burntisland and died there on 16 November 1878.  After her husband's death she moved back to Burntisland from Falkirk.

I have more information on the Morison and Garnoch families but that might be more appropriate in the Scotland section.

It may be of interest to some of you that Andrew Morison one of the sons of Alexander Morison and Helen Garnoch, baptised on 31 December 1837 at St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh and lost at sea when the ship the "General Grant" sank off the coast of New Zealand in 1867.  The "General Grant" saga is quite a story.

Elizabeth Young was baptised 5 September 1831 in Pattertown, Kilwinning and died in 1905 in Collingwood. 
 Elizabeth Young was the daughter of Mary Crawford born abt 1810, Pattertown, Kilwinning who married Thomas Young born about 1805 in Pattertown, Kilwinning.  Mary Crawford married Thomas Young in Glasgow on 27 November, 1840.
Elizabeth Young's maternal grandparents were John Crawford and Helen Bone who married 22 June 1796 in Kilwinning.

cheers, marp