Author Topic: Life in Malta  (Read 2330 times)

Offline JamieBrett

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Life in Malta
« on: Thursday 21 March 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

Im trying to search for any details of my 2nd Great Uncle, a William Beaton Brett. After he was in the armed forces he moved to and settled in Malta.

Apparently he married and had a child. I believe the child was called Robert Brett and he became a Catholic Priest, but not confirmed. I have no details of marriage or child.

All I know is that William died 30th March 1958 in Malta, don't know whereabouts unfortunately.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction on where to look

Many thanks

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Life in Malta
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 August 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm guessing that you don't have a death certificate as even though you know the exact date of death you don't know where. You can order one online from the Maltese Public Registry (if the death was registered in Malta). When you enter the date of death indicate "I am not sure" as I think they search 6 months either side. It would be best to order a full death certificate rather than an extract. The full one will hopefully have cause of death and place of burial plus names of parents and witnesses. It may be in Italian or Maltese when you receive it.

See how you go on with this and let me know and depending on what information there is I will try and help you more.

I think a full certificate is EUR10.25. Also last time I ordered they only charge for a successful search and certificate.

https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/Death.aspx

Luzzu  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 August 19 11:32 BST (UK) »
The London Gazette 5th November 1943 gives a location of Marsa, Malta.

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 August 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is relevant as there is difference in rank (the photograph is captioned Leading Seaman Brett not Chief Petty Officer) and the presentation is a year before the London Gazette announcement  ???

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205144368

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 August 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
His  Naval record is available on Findmypast.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 August 19 06:22 BST (UK) »
if he was Naval personnel try
MALTA (CAPUCCINI) NAVAL CEMETERY Kalkara Military Cemetery) is about 2 kilometres south-east of Rinella
good luck  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 August 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
He was born 6th July 1895 in Dunbar, Scotland

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14800681

Offline Liz Miller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 November 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamie. Your great uncle was my grandad. My father was another William and grandad’s oldest child. There were 5 children altogether including 1 girl who died very young. Robbie was the youngest child and was a catholic priest. Did you know that my grandad survived the sinking of the pathfinder. One of only 14 I believe. I would love to hear information about your great grandad as this is a side of the family we don’t know about. Hope to hear from you. Liz

Offline Watspoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 20 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Might I ask if any of you have a photo of William Beaton Brett? I am working on a website that contains a page about HMS Pathfinder, and it would be of great help if I was able to find a photo of the man! I looked at the one supplied above from the Imperial War Museum, but William Beaton Brett had been promoted to CPO several years before, so it is very unlikely to be him.