Author Topic: Stewart Gibson & Rebecca Jane Evans left Ireland in 1818 went to New Brunswick  (Read 1251 times)

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for information on
Stewart Gibson & Rebecca Jane Evans they left from Antrim Ireland in 1818 landed in ST.James Charlotte county New Brunswick, on passenger list in 1818 it has that
Stewart Gibson was 37 years of age in 1818 it says his wie
Rebecca Jane Gibson (Evans) was 33 years of age. Says there religion was press

Family history that has been passed down from family members says that Stewart Gibson was son of Alexander Gibson & Janet Moore.

Rebecca Jane Gibson (Evans) was daughter of James Evans & Margaret Evans (King)

Margaret Evans (King) was daughter of John King & Elizabeth ?

there was a John King that also came to ST James Charlotte county New Brunswick in1829 he came from Down Ireland  says he was age 70 brn about 1759 when he came to New Brunswick,with him was Elizabeth age 68 brn about 1761,says there religion was press

there was a James Evans who came from Tryone Ireland in 1831 to ST.James Charlotte county New Brunswick, says he was age 56,brn abt 1775 with him was Margaret Evans age 68 and another Margaret Evans age 28

there is a problem with ages and years so somewhere some ages and years are wrong but we have no idea which ones.

there was a Alice King age 46 landed in St,James Charlotte county New Brunswick in 1824,religion Press we have no idea if she related to any above does not say where in Ireland she came from.

there was also a Ann King age 54 came from Down Ireland in 1843 to ST.James Charlotte county New Brunswick Religion Press,no idea if related to any of above.

also in 1843 there was a Robert King age 57 religion press,came From Down and a James King age 30,religion press also came from Down and both came to ST.James Charlotte county New Brunswick.

In 1829 a Robert JR King age 40,religion Press came from Down to ST.James Charlotte County New Brunswick.

would be great to one day have correct years for the following

John King born about  1759  & Elizabeth ? would love to learn her maiden name

James Evans born about 1775 ? & Margaret Evans (King) born about 1775 ?

Stewart also at times spelled Stuart Gibson born about 1781 ? & Rebecca Jane Gibson (Evans) born about 1785 ?
also need correct age and year of birth for Alexander Gibson & Janet Gibson (Moore) as they are parents of Stewart Gibson.

Thank you all in advance

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart Gibson & Rebecca Jane Evans left Ireland in 1818 went to New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I believe that possible Stuart Gibson was born about 1814 and his wife Rebecca Jane Gibson ( Evans ) was born about 1818 as on the 1851 Census for New Brunswick it says they landed in New Brunswick in 1818.
Also no one is sure if they were born in Ireland or Scotland. As some records say Ireland and some say Scotland.
We do know they came to New Brunswick from Ireland.
Also their parents birth dates do not seem to be in order. So would be great if we could find proper birth dates.

Stuart Gibson born about 1814 was the son of Alexander Gibson & Janet Moore.
Rebecca Jane Gibson ( Evans ) born about 1818 was the daughter of James Evans & Margaret Evans ( King ) born about 1783
Margaret Evans ( King ) born 1783 was the daughter of John King & Elizabeth King,her maiden name is unknown.
 Margaret King Gibson born 1838 in St. James, Charlotte county New Brunswick was daughter of Stuart Gibson & Rebecca Jane Gibson ( Evans ),Margaret married John Russell Blair in 1863 in St.James,Charlotte county N.B.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart Gibson & Rebecca Jane Evans left Ireland in 1818 went to New Brunswick
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
hello myself1 trying to find if the four names exist  in any one civil parish in county Antrim ie
Evans, Gibson, King & Moore in the earlier census substitutes
from 1796 flax record a census substitute
Evans none
Gibson                John                 Ballymoney         Antrim
Gibson                Patrick              Skerry             Antrim
King none
Moore                 Ephraim              Ballyrashane       Antrim
Moore                 James                Derrykeighan       Antrim
Moore                 Patrick              Ballyrashane       Antrim
Moore                 Robert               Ballyrashane       Antrim
Moore                 Samuel               Billy              Antrim
Moore                 Thomas               Ballymoney         Antrim
Moore                 William              Ballymoney         Antrim
Moore                 William              Dunluce            Antrim
Moore                 William              Skerry             Antrim

next the four names just in co antrim tithe applotment books all four head of house names are close to 380 in total
has no 4 names in any one parish
has 3 of the four names in these parishes
Ballinderry no King
Blaris no Evans
Drummaul no Evans
Glenavy no King
Killlead no King
Portglenone no King
looking at a parish map of co antrim the best suggestion would be neighbouring
they almost touch eachother starting with most westerly Portglenone sitting one above Drummaul sitting 2 above Killead, sitting 1 above Glenavy, sitting ontop of  Ballinderry sitting tone to the west of Blaris. you might say they are all the south west botrders of Co Antrim.
however those results are not sufficient to go looking for early church records for the names in these 6 parishes unless no other clue arises 

Turning first to your family folklore memory, my own proved Wigtownshire in Scotland was correct  so I would keep them at the top of you tree giving the source as family folklore however what you offer is more facts about the King family. has anyone done research on your Gibson family history I check now after poring over the 1851 census for clues early on in the day eg
wikitree immediately gives this info https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Gibson-18839
Alexander Gibson and Janet (Moore) Gibson
children
Stewart Gibson Born 1812 in Bailey Settlement, Ireland m  21 Mar 1837 in Baillie, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick Rebecca Jane (Evans) Gibson (1818 - 1873)
Wife of Stuart Gibson — married [date unknown] [location unknown]
Wife of Stewart Gibson — married 21 Mar 1837 in Baillie, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada  Died 1873 in New Brunswick, Canad
children
Margaret (Gibson) King,
Margaret King (Gibson) Blair,
James Gibson,
Alexander Gibson,
Stewart Gibson,
Janet Gibson,
Mary (Gibson) Anderson,
John E. Gibson,
Robert Gibson,
Thomas Gibson,
William Johnson Gibson,
Frederick Collins Gibson,
Frederick Collins Gibson,
Unknown Gibson and
Mary F. Gibson
each of these enties if clicked upon blossom into more info I think this is done so thoroughly  you need to be in contact with the tree maker who also thanks another person for recent help I shall stop here there is an image of Stewart and Rebecca marvellous stuff
good luck i wonder where the Bailey settlement in ireland is ?
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 20 04:10 BST (UK) »
The Bailey settlement is not in Ireland it is in New Brunswick in Charlotte county.  None of us have ever found the marriage record for Stewart Gibson & Rebecca  Jane Gibson (Evans)  some family say they were married in New Brunswick and some say in Ireland and a few say Scotland.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
hi myself1, you have done much for New Brunswick roots I am trying to help
Does a passenger list exist for 1818 it might show a group from one location in Ireland left together
I tried http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/
16-01-1818   Ship Hugh Wallace, New Brunswick to Portaferry.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping News)
30-01-1818   Brig Hugh Wallace, Belfast to Miramichi, Nova Scotia.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
20-02-1818   Arrivals Departures & News of Various Ships   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping News)
25-05-1818   Brig Fame, Belfast to St. Andrew's, New Brunswick.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
14-06-1818   Brig Ganges, Belfast to British America.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
15-06-1818   Ship Endeavour, Belfast to St. Andrew's, New Brunswick.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
27-07-1818   Brig Lion, Belfast To St. Andrews, New Brunswick.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
28-07-1818   Brig Ganges, Belfast to St. John's, New Brunswick.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
01-12-1818   Ship Regent, Liverpool to Canada.   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Shipping Advertisements)
29-01-1819   Letter From William Mitchell, Master Of The "Mary Ann".   Central Library, Belfast   Newspapers (Extracts)
05-02-1819   Snow Dorcas Savage et al, Portaferry to New Brunswick.   Central Library, Belfast   
comment these are notices of ships leaving but not passenger lists

Your Gibson line
Alexander Gibson b 1775 Lanarkshire, Scotland
Married: 1794 Newtown-Ardes,Down,Ireland
Spouse: Janet/Jennette/Jean Moore b 1775 Scotland
children
Stewart Gibson born ? In either Scotland, Ireland or posibely New Brunswick, married Rebecca Jane Evans. Stewart and Rebecca lived in New Brunswick Canada,their daughter
children
Margaret King Gibson was born 1837 in ST.James Charlotte County New Brunswick Canada,she married John Russell Blair in 1863.

staying on that Newtownards link
see http://www.newtownardshistory.co.uk/family-gibson.htm
births
Gibson, John - 1795 - (Father Alexander Gibson 1775) - (Mother Janet Moore 1775)
Gibson, James - 1800 - (Father Alexander Gibson 1775) - (Mother Janet Moore 1775)
Gibson, Margaret - 1804 - (Father Alexander Gibson 1775) - (Mother Janet Moore 1775)
Gibson, Stuart - 1812 - (Father Alexander Gibson 1775) - (Mother Janet Moore 1775)
A recent {2013} e.mail from Heidi Russell informed me that Alexander Gibson her GGGG Grandfather was born in Glasgow, Scotland on 20th. August 1775
marriages
Gibson, Margaret - 1786 - Married John Orr
flag-scotland.   Gibson, Alexander of Scotland - c1794 aged 24 - Married Janet Moore
Gibson, Robert - 26th. April 1809 - Married Rachel Patterson - {Ref. = LDS72222120/150} - Also the Belfast Monthly Magazine
the evans entries are all much more recent
comment
1. are you the  H......R...... above?
2.  the estimated  marriage date for a Alexander Gibson m a  Janet Moore is 1794+24 = 1818 location unknown yet its on a newtownards board.
Church  records for Newtownards the surviving church records are listed http://www.rosdavies.com/CHURCHES/K_W.htm#Newtownards
3. You interchange Stewart to Stuart b 1812[-1814] , i understand that vision of records of those days
4.  the website compiler Derek Beattie died suddenly in 2016, his 10 special  friends have resurrected  his website however his sources for each entry  aren’t obvious to me yet.
I stop here for encouragement or advice
worldwide

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
I have a ship that brought my Moore's to St. Andrews, NB. 1818 It was listed in the Lloyds of London Insurance records book. Jessie, Capt. Lyons, ship brought passengers to settle in Canada and then went to Savannah, Georgia to return with cotton. I have included an attachment that was written by Rev. McCullough of 1st Protestant Church in Newtownards for John Moore, born 1786. Hollywood is mentioned but not sure. His first two boys were born Antrim. (wife was Montgomery) She died and he then married Sophia Angus. I think we have many things to share. I have 2 Gibson/Moore marriages, Gibson/Black, Gibson/Wilmot, Gibson/Angus and Gibson/Simpson. Also King, Finley, Mitchell, Gordon, Lowery, Beatty etc
Sorry but all my attachments are .doc, i will copy and paste or can send them to you or both??? Perhaps I can rename them as other??? Please advise.  cheers, Cal. Moore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
i think i can go no further in helping myself1, so over to mysel1 to reply to you Calhun
good luck onwards to all
worldwide

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 August 20 13:12 BST (UK) »
What's up. Are you interested in or have looked into what I have to share with others who arrived in 1818?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Cal your answer was good information, i can go no further. the correspondent 'myself 1' who should be very interested in your reply appears to have slowed down last mail 16 April 20. you could try a PM ?
good luck onwards
worldwide