Author Topic: Northumberland Fusiliers  (Read 536 times)

Offline Colur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland Fusiliers
« on: Friday 22 March 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
My friend has only just discovered some family documents which show that his father John Ellis Born 1895 enlisted in the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1913 here in Dublin.
The most legible of the three forms is Army Form B 2079 it reads;

Certificate of discharge of No 50117* (Rank) Pte.
(Name) John Ellis
(Regiment) Northumberland Fusiliers (hand written above this stamp is possibly  “previously ……. …. Royal Irish Rifles.
who was enlisted at Dublin
on the 1st October 1913

He was discharged in consequence of
Discharged, no longer physically fit … war service Para 92 (XVI) Kings Regulations
After serving 4 years 211 days with the Colours and
Illegible
(Place) illegible                                      Signature of
                                                                Commanding                                     illegible
                                                                Officer
(Date) 29.4.18

*Another of the documents which is practically totally illegible shows John’s number as 5011

Any help or advice you can offer as to what, if any action this man would have seen during the First World War would be greatly appreciated as I have never researched army history before.
Many thanks
John

I have posted this in the WW1 section because of John's service years 1913 to 1918 but please move if deemed necessary with my apologies.
J.

Comiskey,Hatton, Bell, Byrne.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 March 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
A quick overview.

His service record appears to have been among the 60% or more of WW1 records lost to bombing in WW2.  His medal records and Silver War Badge record however do survive from which we can squeeze the following outline:
Joined the Royal Irish Rifles (RIR) 1 Oct 1913. Went to France with 2nd Battalion RIR on  12 November 1914.  Received a gunshot wound which presumably was the cause of him being transferred back to UK in May 1917 and to 3rd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (a UK only battalion) where he remained until discharged 27 April 1918.
His overseas service therefore was with 2 RIR.
There are 2 war diaries covering his dates.;
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=2%20Royal%20Irish%20rifles&_cr=WO%2095&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900&_st=adv  (the top two)
These may not mention him but at least will give a flavour of his war.  Each can be downloaded for £3.50, they are on Ancestry if you have a subscription?

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Colur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Fusiliers
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 19 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much MaxD for your speedy and detailed reply, my friend is delighted with this information.
I will keep in touch and let you know how this developes.
Many thanks once again.

John.
Comiskey,Hatton, Bell, Byrne.