Author Topic: Wilson's in Knaresborough, Look-up Please.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wilson's in Knaresborough, Look-up Please.
« on: Saturday 23 March 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »

I'm looking for this Wilson family in Knaresborough:

George Wilson, Born Knaresborough 1780. Son of William Wilson (1754 - 1835) and Mary Wilson (1758 - 1800).

George Wilson Married Elizabeth Baldridge (Born Approx 1772) on the 26th November 1800 in Knaresborough.

George Wilson was a Stonemason. He Died on the 2nd November 1854.

Children of George and Elizabeth Wilson:
William Wilson, Born 1801
John Wilson, Born 1804
Sarah Wilson, Born 1807
George Wilson, Born 1809
Francis Wilson, Born 1811
Ellen Wilson, Born 1815
Thomas Wilson, Born 1820
James Wilson, Born 1822.

Because of the dates, I'm uncertain if I'm finding the right family on the 1841 and 1851 Census.
George Wilson is listed as a Stonemason in Piggott's Directory for Knaresborough.

I believe that Francis Wilson was Transported to Australia as a convict, but unsure of dates.

I've been trying to follow the eldest son, William Wilson, Born 1801, - but difficult, - as so many Wilson's!

Any help welcomed,
Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in Knaresborough, Look-up Please.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 19 12:43 GMT (UK) »
1841 HO107/1285/15/F5/p3
Wellington Street, Knaresborough
George Wilson 60 Bricklayer
Elizabeth Wilson 60
Ellen Wilson 25
Thomas Wilson 20
All born in County

1851 HO107/2283/f142/p18
Briggate, Knaresborough
George Wilson father Widower 71 Formerly Stone Mason Knaresborough
Living with daughter Sarah Sweeting and family.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »

Many Thanks for looking emeltom, - much appreciated.

I have a DNA Match to a direct descendant of Francis Wilson, (son of George Wilson shown above) on the Family Tree DNA Site.

I can only assume that this must come via my Paternal Wilson side... My problem is that I've had a longstanding brick wall with my Paternal Grandfather, William James Wilson, who says, (on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses) that he was Born in Manchester in 1860 to Father William Wilson, Occupation: Mason.

Unlike people, DNA can't lie, and so I must have a connection somewhere down the line to these Wilsons... it also ties in that they seem to be Masons and Builders...

I wish I could pin it down somehow:-(

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 19 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I've been through the 1861 Census but cannot find a William Wilson, stonemason with a son William born c1860. None in Lancs or Yorks. I don't suppose that the stonemason father was a figment of his imagination because he was illegitimate?

Where is he living in 1901 and 1911?

Emeltom

Found him, he's the one in Swansea?
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »

Apologies emeltom, -

I've asked about my Grandfather on here so many times, that I didn't envisage that you would look!

So sorry...!!

I am completely unable to find my late Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) anywhere prior to his Marriage to my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in 1893.

After that he stayed in Swansea until 1930. On the 1901 they're at 113 St Helens Road, and on the 1911 at 99 St Helens Road. In 1919 they moved to 'Y Plas' in Llangyfelach Road, although 99 St Helens Road was kept on as a shop.

In 1930, their youngest son, Archie Wilson committed suicide at home, and the family uprooted and moved to Wembley Middx. Margaret Wilson Died in 1934 and William James Wilson in 1937.

I have wondered if, faced with his Wife's family in Swansea, he 'Invented' a Deceased Father... In which case, he might have been Born with a different name altogether.

However, the DNA Match does match me with these Wilsons from Naresborough...

Romilly ???
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I should add... that I've found the Patent taken out by him for his Invention, the 'Wilson Air Purifier', and the Articles in the South Wales Post and The London Gazette relating to Initial 'Letters of Administration'. (The first stage of Bankruptcy proceedings). He didn't actually go bankrupt, just gave up one of his businesses, and concentrated instead on his Painting and Decorating Business, 'Wilson and Co'.

However, - this slight 'dodginess' would seem to tie in with some of the Knaresborough Wilsons(!)

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a bit more background Francis Wilson was sentenced to life imprisonment for Malicious Wounding in 1831 and was transported to New South Wales 1832.

Emeltom

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 March 19 15:11 GMT (UK) »

Oh dear, - that sounds nasty:-(

I haven't found anything like that concerning my Grandfather, - and he seems to have led a very settled life after his Marriage. It's just very curious that he's nowhere to be found before 1893...

Hence the DNA Test(!)

Romilly ::)
Researching:

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 March 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
1861 RG09/3204/F58/p11
Wellington Street, Knaresborough
Thomas Wilson 41 Stonemason Knaresborough
Mary Ann Wilson wife 42
James Wilson son 15
George Wilson son 13
John Wilson son 11
Emma Wilson dau 7
Anne Wilson dau 3
William Wilson brother 51 Widower Schoolmaster

That seems to rule both of the brothers out as William James' father

Emeltom