Author Topic: No More Names !!  (Read 1475 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
No More Names !!
« on: Saturday 23 March 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
How can I stop myself - I`ve no will power !

I had promised myself to stop adding any more names to my trees, but I`m doing a major review and yesterday I realised that one of my Scottish gt grandmothers was wrong; this is the 3rd one for this particular line but I`m definitely right now.

So, today I looked on Family Search, only to discover that there might be another 4 children; now it`s onto SP to check. I`ll never finish the review at this rate !!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No More Names !!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 19 15:54 GMT (UK) »
That is the trouble with families,they grow!
However,to grow after death—— your lot must be very special ;D ;D ;D
Hang on in there!
Viktoria

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
How can I stop myself - I`ve no will power !

I had promised myself to stop adding any more names to my trees, but I`m doing a major review and yesterday I realised that one of my Scottish gt grandmothers was wrong; this is the 3rd one for this particular line but I`m definitely right now.

So, today I looked on Family Search, only to discover that there might be another 4 children; now it`s onto SP to check. I`ll never finish the review at this rate !!

Don't despair....you are not alone  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I don`t like going to bed on a mystery !! Too many sleepless nights pondering on it all !!

I was really happy to tie it up by connecting a sister and brother as there are no death records for their parents; before 1841 they don`t appear on the census.The other children I can leave until I`m ready to shake the tree again.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
The trouble with stopping looking for more relatives is that you will miss the interesting ones.

It's always the ones "off to the side" who did interesting things, like abandoning a wife and running away to Australia to teach dancing, while your direct line just stayed home, paid their rent on time and carried on begetting.

Of course, there are a lot more records about the ones who strayed off the straight and narrow, so you learn more about their lives. :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 19 14:09 GMT (UK) »
It`s all so intriguing ! but so far I`ve found some abandoned wives, but no dancing husbands !!

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
It`s so difficult to keep myself in check! I`m working on my 4x gt grandmother just making sure I haven`t made any mistakes, but I`ve book marked a web page that seems to connect her family to Robert Burns. "He`s " not an ancestor but the website shows that he visited the house of "Mr Grieve to sup and sleep "
There`s also online mention of the  Grieves sisters, but not my gt grandmother as she was married by then. I`m tempted to go into it further, but since my first post I`ve not added any more names, I`m really trying !

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 19 18:38 BST (UK) »
Warning

If you do a DNA test you will find you are branching out even more widely to try and find the connections for all the DNA matches you have......

or, which is possibly worse, but equally tantalising, doing your matches' own trees to try and find where they link with yours.

Forth Road Bridge stuff
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
" Forth Road Bridge stuff "

You`re so right; I`ve just taken a quick look for the Robbie Burns/Grieve connection. There is a mention of 2 brothers who must fit in somewhere, but I "must " stay strong and finish my review !!!