Author Topic: Picture found during a clear out and its a ROAH  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Picture found during a clear out and its a ROAH
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »

If you Google....   stonemasons apron

then Images

you'll see it is a stonemason's apron

I think you mean "Freemasons"

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Cls88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 22:57 GMT (UK) »
what country was your auntie in when she was alive?

JM

Manchester

Offline Cls88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A very warn welcome to RootsChat!

Looks rather like the RAOB (Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, or just Buffaloes for short) regalia.
The initials ROH stand for 'Roll of Honour'. See here: http://freemasonry.london.museum/it/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/The-Royal-Antediluvian-Order-of-Buffaloes.pdf

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Hi David the link you gave me i clicked on it and the picture bottom left the blue roh i think is very similarto what the gentleman is wearing in the photo

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A very warn welcome to RootsChat!

Looks rather like the RAOB (Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, or just Buffaloes for short) regalia.
The initials ROH stand for 'Roll of Honour'. See here: http://freemasonry.london.museum/it/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/The-Royal-Antediluvian-Order-of-Buffaloes.pdf

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Hi and welcome to RootsChat.

You just beat me to it David..my Father was a member of the "Buffs". There is a long post on the Buffaloes already on RootsChat with lots of helpful advice. I can't post a link from the iPad but perhaps someone else will do it. I think the post title was "Buffaloes"

Carol

Possibly this thread Carol?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nkz/
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You just beat me to it David..my Father was a member of the "Buffs". There is a long post on the Buffaloes already on RootsChat with lots of helpful advice. I can't post a link from the iPad but perhaps someone else will do it. I think the post title was "Buffaloes"

Carol

Was this the one Carol? https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=279830.0

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh well found Jenny...that's the one.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Carol

Was this the one Carol? https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=279830.0

Kind regards

David

Yes That's it David...I got the red warning when I posted my last message so missed yours.

Carol

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 23:21 GMT (UK) »

If you Google....   stonemasons apron

then Images

you'll see it is a stonemason's apron

I think you mean "Freemasons"

Carol

;D ;D

Yes!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.