Author Topic: Joseph Lewis  (Read 5085 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Lewis
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 21 July 19 05:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to RChat for sorting out the mess .... now to get back on track ...

JM

Do you know what that error message is?
I've never seen that before?

Nope,  but I have reported it,  just now.  Never seen it ever on any thread.  Only noticed it now as I went to read back ... very worrying,  but I am sure our global moderators will respond and sort.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 21 July 19 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi is all fixed now?  I haven't been game to log on.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 21 July 19 06:05 BST (UK) »
I am confident whatever it was is fixed now.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 21 July 19 06:39 BST (UK) »
That's good news.
I have been in contact with a descendant of the Joseph Lewis and Elizabeth Hart line.
This lady has not long since had a dna done, so she is still researching.
But she is confident that Joseph Jnr is hers and also Joseph Snr. but can't confirm anything else yet.
When I last spoke to her she had told me that side of the family all had fairly dark skins? not sure if there are any clues there?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 21 July 19 07:52 BST (UK) »
If Joseph Senior had dark skin,  and was NSW born c1830s, and IF ... big IF ... he was the son of Charles LEWIS who was born overseas and arrived in NSW as an adult,  that is suggesting Charles wife was perhaps of Aboriginal parentage....

One step at  time ....  start with the 1875 m.c.  fill in the blanks,  validate each dot along the way ...

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 21 July 19 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have the details of the 1875 m.c. from the Diocese, I did previously post it, maybe something went astray so here are the details.

It states that he was married in St Stephens at the Valley, that he was a settler at Fitzgerald's Valley,  24 y/o, parents Joseph Lewis Snr. farmer and Jane Noble.
So that means by 1875, he was considered to be the son of Joseph Snr and Jane Noble.
At what date he was raised by Joseph and Jane I don't know?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 21 July 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
He gave the clergy that info in 1875,   so to me he believed it to be true - small community, everyone knew all the regulars,  - .... likely his earliest memory of 'mum'  was Jane ....   :)  so,  it likely dates from 1850s ....

JM.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 21 July 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
Yes I would probably agree about the dates.

I think that Joseph Snr. 1851 when he was about 18 or19 had a child with Sarah Unknown. She could have been a half caste or full blood Aboriginal?
Then this child Joseph Jnr. was raised by Joseph Snr. and Jane noble, that could explain why that line had dark skin?
I wasn't sure about this until I received the m.c. from the Diocese, stating the Jane Noble was the mother, which clearly she was not, the birth mother anyway.
It is purely speculation but does make sense. especially for a small place like the Valley

Offline LuckyCountry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 11 March 22 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Majm, I misstyped the information about Mary Ann Smith. I meant to say that her parents were transported from the UK not her. She was born in NSW. I think it was in 1815.
Her father was William Smith and her mother was Sarah Smith nee Lake.
Sarah was about 16 when she got convicted for stealing 11 umbrellas. That would put her birth at around 1792 and she would have been transported in 1808. I believe that they were married by the "flogging" parson, Samuel Marsden. Mary Ann's husband Charles (Joseph Lewis Sr's father) as also a convict so you should be able to check transportation records. I believe that Joseph Jr was born in Sydney's eastern suburbs (Watson's Bay) so Bathurst diocese wouldn't have his BC.