Author Topic: Robert James Willey Pte 2341, DLI, Pte 397152, Labour Corps  (Read 547 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert James Willey Pte 2341, DLI, Pte 397152, Labour Corps
« on: Wednesday 27 March 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I have this man's service record and medal index card, but I do struggle to understand service records so if anyone has the time to look and clarify it I'd appreciate it.

I 'think' that because of his age (he was 35 in 1914) he had originally joined the 4th Volunteer Battalion DLI (? was this a sort of precursor to the Labour Corps where each regiment had its own labour corps?)

Then enlisted in Sept 1914 in the 9th Battalion DLI and served 'at home' till July 1916 when he was posted to France in July 1916 (?still in the DLI with the 9th ?)

Still in France, in November 1917 he was transferred to the Labour Corps (? 783 Emp Co. ?)
apart from a stint on leave at home some of that time in hospital in Newcastle, with influenza, I think he was in France  till Feb 1919

But I could well be completely wrong :-)

Thanks

Boo

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert James Willey Pte 2341, DLI, Pte 397152, Labour Corps
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
You've pretty much got it.

Pre 1914 4th Battalion was a reserve (part time volunteers) battalion, this was long before the Labour Corps or Infantry Labour Companies. As a reservist he was "embodied" in September 1914 and "on the books" of 9th Battalion although he served a period with 23 Battalion (reserves).

After the UK service which you have identified, he was posted overseas in July 1916 destined for 9th Battalion DLI.  However, when he got to France, he was retained at 35 Base depot at Etaples with other "PB" permanent base men (less fit but not returned home).  He was attached (so not posted and still wearing his DLI cap badge) for a time to a Garrison Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

In November 1917 came the transfer to the Labour Corps to 783 Area Employment Company then a later posting to 117 Labour Company.  He remained in France until Feb 1919 when he was sent home for demobilization.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks MaxD, I must be getting better (though have yet to have confidence in my conclusions) as I seem to have got a lot of it right :-)

The extra info and confirmation is very much appreciated.
thanks again

Boo

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 19 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,where did he reside? there was a Robert Willey listed as served as an employee of the
Co-op Windy nook,the 9th DLI were recruited in peacetime from the Gateshead
district.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 19 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Robert James was born 1878 in Darlington, his occupation was colliery joiner, like his Dad  - though in 1939 he was a builders labourer.
I have him in various places over the years, but not in Windy Nook:
1881 Esh, 1891 Dunston, 1901 Gateshead (where he married a Gateshead girl in 1901), 1911 Birtley, 1913 Scotswood - then back to Gateshead by 1914 where he remained, apart from his service time, till his death in 1957.
Though I suppose that 'technically' he's still in Gateshead as he is buried at Saltwell :-)

Boo