Author Topic: DNA results  (Read 510 times)

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA results
« on: Wednesday 27 March 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a query about my mams DNA results hoping someone can shed some light :

I have clicked on someones username and looked at shared dna matches - the first person is my cousin so i know how they are related - the second person shares the same great grandparents as my mam so thats ok

my query is another person in this group is related through my mams great grandmas side (the second person through her great grandads side so her husband!)

then another person shares the same 4x great grandparents via the great grandma as above

how can we have shared dna if some people have nothing to do with others?

hope this makes sense!!!

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 19:12 GMT (UK) »
John and Catherine

1 related to both J and C (my mams g grandparents, my cousins gg grandparents)
2 related via John (J is my mams g grandad J's brother is persons 2 grandad so their parents are the connection
3 related via Catherine (C is my mams g grandma C's sister is persons 3 g grandma so their parents connection
4 related via Catherine (about 6 generations back)

person 3 should have nothing to do with Catherine's husbands side of the family yet we have shared matches!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you draw a tree of these people and put on the branches the amount of DNA they share.

I suggest this as a picture paints a thousand words ( I was having difficulty following your narrative and had started a tree but better if you do it I think).

I suggest it is confusing giving some people names and others numbers (at least it was to me).

None of the relationships \ matches mean anything without knowing how much DNA (cMs) they share, as low amounts may not indicate a connection but just be coincidence
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Blimey ive just had a eureka moment - its ok ive solved it!!!

:-\

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.