Author Topic: Brick Wall - Ann Hawthorn Maiden name Ralph  (Read 319 times)

Offline RachaelCullinan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick Wall - Ann Hawthorn Maiden name Ralph
« on: Sunday 31 March 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
This is my first post so I'm really hoping I've posted in the correct place.

I have a bit of a brick wall (actually I have a few brick walls but let's start with the most recent lol), I don't know if I'm being too ambitious but any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So... I'm looking for information on my grandfather's grandmother. Her name is Ann Hawthorn, maiden name Ralph. The first time I have her here in Scotland is on the 1841 census where she is approximately 25 (I think this may be wrong though) and already married to Archibald Hawthorn and they have 4 children.

The census states that both she and Archibald were born in Ireland, the 2 older children were also born in Ireland (no county etc is given).

I cannot find either children in Ireland either.

I cannot for the life of me find any marriage details for her and Archibald, nor her birth details.

She died on 13 Jan 1871, and the death certificate states she was 60 when she died which would put her birth date around 1811, the census has her birth date around 1816. She also died in high church in Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

I have her parents information as:
Father: John Ralph and his occupation as private soldier 89th foot
Mother: Catherine Ralph, maiden name Hunter.

Ive had a search for her parents too with no luck.

I have Ann on every Scottish census from 1841 till 1861, she had died by the 1871 census.

The 1851 census states she is from England, I'm unsure if that is a mistake as the 1841 and 1861 censuses both state Ireland.

I don't know if it's simply too far back to find any information, but if anyone could offer any assistance I would be so grateful.

Sorry for the long post!

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall - Ann Hawthorn Maiden name Ralph
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
    I wonder if any of the census returns that you know about have the family living at Hamilton, Lanarkshire.      Reason is that I see a couple of births from there, as follows...

Ann Hawthorn, 7 Oct 1839.    Parents: Archibald Hawthorn/Ann Ralph       Hamilton.

Jane Hawthorn, 18 Nov 1841. Parents: Archibald Hawthorn/Ann Ralph.      Hamilton.

The dates may be either baptismal dates or birth dates.    The info above is just the Preview Information before opening the actual certificates on Scotlands People.

Is this new to you, or do you already have these births?
                                                                               Brian