Author Topic: Searching for George Charles Goddard or Harry Goddard of Broome W.A.  (Read 6937 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for George Charles Goddard or Harry Goddard of Broome W.A.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi JM, doing this in your lunch-hour, you are very dedicated.   The Trove add is for 1950, will try to find this myself later.    Yes we had that list from Broome Museum.
I will check this military one now.   Wow this is getting quite complicated.
Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 06:26 BST (UK) »
I have not found George  Charles GODDARD at Broome on those rolls ...  what year/s

No Harry in Broome during War years ...

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 06:46 BST (UK) »
We have found Harry Goddard as a Pearler 1913 and 1914, next lot from 1920 as a Pearler through to 1922, then at the Dampier Hotel right through to 1925.

George Charles Goddard we have cancelled out, as he comes through another Goddard family, he was born in Calcutta, India.  George Charles Goddard was at the Star Hotel Broome in 1922 through to around 1924, he was Assistant Manager at Robison & Norman, a Pearling Company in Broome. He was then found at Margaret River, Bussellton.

You are right no Harry Goddard shown in electoral rolls during the War years.   Wouldn't  you think we would find shipping records from England, for him returning to Fremantle after that.  I will have to do more searching now.

Quite clearly we have a Goddard who fathered these two children in Broome, from 1923 onwards. The search continues.

Have just checked shipping and found Henry Goddard b. 1891 aged 23 years embarking "Otranto" from Fremantle for London, arriving 1.8.1914, his occupation Plumber !!!!  Resident of Western Australia.     So must be someone else, a Plumber now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
May I mention that there was no need for the electoral roll covering Broome to be printed in 1923 or in 1924 - no elections, so how can you be certain that either George Charles GODDARD or Harry GODDARD were in Broome in those years ... Remember that even now, you do not need to provide documentary ID when attending a polling place to have your name marked off the roll.

There's a newspaper cutting showing someone was caught using 'Charles GODDARD' as their alias...  Using an alias was a much easier matter in that era ... this chap was caught out, and eventually gave up his actual name... but it was March 1925 ... where did this chap learn of the surname GODDARD ...  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/208125024  Warning, a nasty chap, two young children involved, people protected the children.   Not at Busselton, nor at Broome, but at Fremantle. 

I am not meaning to side track you, or to complicate your research, but there are plenty of gaps, (time wise and locality wise and occupation wise) and it is possible there was more than one chap named Harry GODDARD in W.A. in the years leading up to 1926.   Occupations like Plumber, Carpenter, Butcher,Baker these are trades which even in the 1920s surely would have required  training/apprenticeships etc under the Master/Servant Acts. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 10:09 BST (UK) »
JM.
Yes I understand all of that, but here we have the Court records for Broome for Esther Corpus and Defendant Goddard in regard to child support for 1925, we have two Solicitors in Broome, as well.

Why cant we find Harry Goddard's records of migrated by ship to England to join the Royal Berkshire Regiment, he was not a Plumber, as is shown for one Harry Goddard who went to UK in 1915,  far off the track in his trade.  We do know that he definitely was a Butcher as he came to Australia, as was the family business back in Reading Berkshire, and this trade popped up once again, when he went to Canada to be with his family before he continued on to Reading in Berkshire, where he once again became a Licensee of the Hotel in Reading.  He was Licensee of the Hotel in Broome.

I am not doubting your thoughts, but how far do we go with this search, of course I know people change their name, have experienced quite an amount of this within our family, but this one seems to come together in the end.

If anyone else can come up with any other ideas, I am happy to consider this, and take it further. 

Wow this has been one long journey, six months of very intense searching, on our part, but the DNA match tells us all.  We don't believe that this indigenous lady Esther Corpus would have gone to Perth in those days, it appears she already had two children before 1923, aged 18 years, so hard to believe that she would have been down there.   Those days were very difficult days with the mixed cultures in Broome, especially with all of the riots etc. at that time.   

Jan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that your Harry is the one in Broome prior to WWI?  Did you search for his passage to W.A. after finding W.A.Broome electoral rolls for that name in 1910s ie pre war?  He may not have come to Australia until after WWI. 

JM

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
JM
Could not find our Henry Goddard in 1911 census in Reading Berkshire, but found him arriving in Fremantle, Western Australia, arriving on board the "Orsova" on the 18th October, 1910, occupation Butcher, same occupation as the family business in Reading.
Jan

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 24 May 19 00:28 BST (UK) »
So Henry Goddard arriving in Fremantle Western Australia on board the "Orsova" 1910 as a Butcher from Reading,definitely now shows up as returning to London on board the "Ontranto" 10.8.1914 aged 23 years, but occupation now a Plumber. 

He enlisted with Royal Berkshire Regiment Reading, England, 14.2.1916 aged 24 years 7 months, occupation back to Butcher again.  Father George Goddard of 51 Southampton Street, Reading. He was discharged 1.5.1919.   Harry was admitted to the Australian General Hospital in Rouen France 27.2.1917.   The records in Perth Office appear to now relate to the same Henry or Harry Goddard.

Just need to find him returning to Australia in 1919 and his occupation this time !  No luck so far.
Jan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 24 May 19 08:15 BST (UK) »
https://www.carnamah.com.au/car-registrations?starts_with=G&page=41

W.A. car regos, 1915 to 1928.   Not too many had a car,  but a Harry GODDARD in Broome had a Ford in 1922-23 and a Harvey GODDARD (so another H GODDAD) also had a Ford in Broome in 1923-24

JM