Author Topic: Ramage of north Antrim, probably Finvoy  (Read 2441 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ramage of north Antrim, probably Finvoy
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 February 23 01:43 GMT (UK) »
The Ramages I am related to were Presbyterians.  A couple of the sons of the family went to Edinburgh to train to be Presbyterian ministers/Elders (?). 

I haven't looked at the Smith Ramages or the Lockhart Ramages except to note some first name similarities.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 March 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
The Ramages I am related to were Presbyterians.  A couple of the sons of the family went to Edinburgh to train to be Presbyterian ministers/Elders (?). 

I haven't looked at the Smith Ramages or the Lockhart Ramages except to note some first name similarities.

Elders are elected within a congregation and being well educated wasn't a prerequisite. I can't see any Presbyterian ministers named Ramage in A history of congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982 so perhaps they either didn't continue their studies or didn't have a congregation in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 March 23 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey.

Yes we know they were in Edinburgh but what next do not know.  They may have come back and not followed it up  They were reputed to be 'fierce Presbyterians' according to my grandmother who died back in 1963.

Her father was Presbyterian and her mother Church of Ireland