Author Topic: Burial Felix McConnell and Bridget Herbert- 1919  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Felix McConnell and Bridget Herbert- 1919
« on: Monday 01 April 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
Two of my ancestors, husband and wife died one day apart in 1919 from influenza and septic pneumonia. At the time of their deaths they had 3 very young daughters who were seriously ill with the influenza as well. Felix died 18 March, 1919 and Bridget or Belinda died the next day 19 March, 1919.

Felix and Bridget were married 25 July 1913 in the Chapel of Castleconnor, Dromore West, Sligo. When they passed away they were living in Belfast. Of the 3 girls who survived the influenza, the youngest sadly passed in 1926 at the "surgical hospital" in Sligo from complications of appendicitis and pneumonia. Trying to find where the parents and youngest child were laid to rest so when I return to Ireland next year and can hopefully find them to pay my respects.

Can anyone advise how I can check church records for the Church in Castleconnor? They were  Catholic and this is my first time trying to find any records from the Catholic Parish records so have no idea where to go from here.

Any help or advice will be sincerely appreciated. 

Thank you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Felix McConnell and Bridget Herbert- 1919
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 19 21:54 BST (UK) »

Templeboy

Diocese of Killala | County of Sligo
Variant forms of parish name:
Templeboy and Kilmacshalgan
Dromore West
Kilmacshalgan

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0756
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
Previous topic - Belfast Cemetery look up:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810478.msg6703875#msg6703875

Did you contact any Belfast Cemeteries? it's quite possible, under the circumstances, that a headstone was never put up for them and due to the flu outbreak burial would have taken place quickly and locally. Most Catholic churches don't keep burial registers.

For reference- daughter Millie's death-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1926/04995/4363022.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 19 22:02 BST (UK) »

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nll/  gets you all Felix in Sligo 1911

but maybe there is information on him already as Aghadowey has posted that you already have another thread going.

there might be something relevant there!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 19 22:12 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nll/  gets you all Felix in Sligo 1911
but maybe there is information on him already as Aghadowey has posted that you already have another thread going.
there might be something relevant there!
If you read this thread and the previous one you'd see that Felix & Bridget were in Belfast in 1911 and died there in 1919.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 03:10 BST (UK) »
The Diocese of Killalla I checked but their burial records on line are for the 1800’s and I am looking for 1919. I did not find any records of Felix and Belinda being buried in Belfast where they passed. It was suggested that because influenza was so active and aggressive at that time, they probably would have been buried shortly after death being Belfast. Belinda’s sister was the administrator of their estates so because I couldn’ find them buried in Belfast on-line, it was also suggested to me that maybe the sister took them back to Sligo where Belinda’s family lived. It was either Belfast or Castleconnor, Sligo. I think I may have to contact the Catholic parish in Sligo for a records check for 1919 and maybe email some of the Catholic cemeteries in Belfast that don’t have on line records. That’s all I can think of at the moment.

Thank you everyone.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
As I've already mentioned, a Belfast burial, under the circumstances, is more likely and there is unlikely to be a headstone (they died suddenly of a contagious disease during an epidemic, had young children to be provided for and far from their families).
Not all burial records are online. The Belfast cemetery database (City, Dundonald and Roselawn) is not complete and there are others not even online so I suggest you start with Belfast for the parents and contact the local church in Sligo for the youngest daughter.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, thank you and will do exactly as you advise. Sorry if I’m going back and forth in my thoughts between Belfast and Sligo. Didn’t realize not all cemeteries offer on-line searches in Belfast or that ones that do are incomplete. Will focus on Belfast Catholic cemeteries and try emailing. Realize probably no headstone or marker but I would still like to try.

Cheers