Author Topic: Bail conditions of 1873, England  (Read 606 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bail conditions of 1873, England
« on: Friday 05 April 19 04:30 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who put up bail of 500 pounds (along with several other people) for his brother-in-law who was charged with the manslaughter of his wife - he shot at a supposed burglar but it was his wife - long story.
He died whilst on bail awaiting for his trial. Newspapers say he died from paralysis of the brain.
Would the bail money been returned to these individuals?
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Bail conditions of 1873, England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 19 07:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert, but I don't think the bail money had to be paid upfront.  It would become payable only if the accused deliberately failed to appear at court.

As your chap died, the case died with him.  No bail money would have been payable so there would be nothing to return (in my opinion).

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
Carol is correct (certainly today) ....bail isn't generally paid into the court, although it can be if the court requires.

It is a promise to pay should the accused abscond. The person standing surety would usually have to satisfy the court that they had sufficient assets/funds to meet the payment should it be required.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 April 19 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I did try to google for some information but kept getting current conditions.
I was trying to figure out where my relative could have raised the money from - he was a builder at the time,  with wife and 5 children under 16 under his roof.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more