Author Topic: DOLAN FAMILY - Roscommon  (Read 1947 times)

Offline CullenDolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOLAN FAMILY - Roscommon
« on: Sunday 07 April 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
I had an interesting find today and a lead to a different district. My great-grandfather, Michael Dolan, lived in Arm, Castlerea and I always presumed he was born there. However his marriage certificate (see attached) lists his residence at the time of his marriage as Killkeevan (hope I have transcribed it correctly from the attached), in the Registrar's District of Castleplunket, Roscommon. Just wondering if anyone has any more info on the Dolans from Killkeevan. The interesting addition of Michael's father as Peter Dolan gives me one generation further to include in my family tree and again I am wondering if there are any out there who have similar family links in their family tree. My great-grandmother is listed as Mary Anne Browne from Brownhill. (The name Browne spelt with an "E" and the townland spelt without. I can't find such a townland in a search but wonder if it is just an area that was simply called Brownhill because there were so many families of that name living in close proximity? Again are there any other readers out there that are researching Browne in/or around this townland. Also just confused with the witnesses on the bottom right hand side which appear to be both females. Is this unusual for it not to be male female. The parish church where they were married (Kilmurry Catholic Church) which obviously would be the parish where Brownhill is located ie: the Bride's homeland. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: DOLAN FAMILY - Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 19 16:23 BST (UK) »

My great-grandmother is listed as Mary Anne Browne from Brownhill. 

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Brownhill, I believe, is in the townland of Lissalway, civil parish of Baslick, Co Roscommon. (Google it)
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/castlereagh/baslick/castleplunket/lissalway/

Mary Anne's father is a herdsman (shepherd), so this likely a younger sister born in 1864, the first year of registration of births. Bridget, MMN Dolan, #9.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03623/2337361.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
I read the first witness as Kelly Tighe Arm (Arm being the place to distinguish from another Kelly Tighe in the parish perhaps?).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CullenDolan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.
Yes, it makes perfect sense that the "Arm" was the townland.
I wonder how close are Lissalway and Arm and Kilmurry to eachother? Most likely neighbouring townlands a fiels or two apart.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 01:17 BST (UK) »
I read the first witness as Kelly Tighe Arm (Arm being the place to distinguish from another Kelly Tighe in the parish perhaps?).
Possibly birth registration of a relative in Castlerea district.
Date & place of birth: 14th Feb. 1915, Arm.
Name: Kelly Patrick. Sex: Male.
Father's name: Michael Tighe. Father's residence; Arm.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie
Every Kelly Tighe registered was male.

Cowban