Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Bawden/Dean/Kerslake post 1817  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Bawden/Dean/Kerslake post 1817
« on: Monday 15 August 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
JOHN & FRANCES KERSLAKE baptised their daughter FRANCES BAWDEN KERSLAKE ON 9th July 1817 at St. Clement Danes Church Westminster. JOHN DEAN KERSLAKE was baptised 5th January 1820 in at St. Clement Danes Church, Westminster, son of JOHN & FRANCES KERSLAKE. JOHN KERSLAKE the father, was recorded as a Publican at John Dean Kerslakes marriage in Lambeth in April 1853. As the Bawden name and its var. is found in the West country and most notably Cornwall, I wondered if anyone can make any connection to the above people. I have a feeling that John and Frances married in either Cornwall or Devon. Can anyone make a connection to the brewing trade? Or Cornwall Rd, Waterloo? No sign of Frances on any censuses as a Kerslake.
I am trying deperately to dot the i's and cross the t's here and Im afraid lack of funds prevents me from joining any and every Fhsociety in existence. I am hoping some kind good inquisitive and related soul would help me. To find that Frances and John had relatives in Devon and Cornwall would be the icing on the cake for me.
Many thanks
Debbie

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bawden/Dean/Kerslake post 1817
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 05 14:22 BST (UK) »
Doing a 'parent search' for John and Frances Kerslake, brings up two more possible children:

Christenings

JOHN DEAN KERSLAKE 05 JAN 1820 Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England
FRANCES BAWDEN KERSLAKE 09 JUL 1817 Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England
HARRIET LANGHORN KERSLAKE 01 MAY 1810 Saint Andrew, Holborn, London, England
JAMES KERSLAKE 04 OCT 1805 Saint Andrew, Holborn, London, England

Harriet Langhorn is on the freebmd index as 'Herslake', m. 1844.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie.
I have Kerslakes in Crediton and Bickleigh (+ a few in Exeter) in Devon. I haven't been able to bring my Kerslakes very far forward into the 1800s, as I have a whole bunch of them in the late 1700s. There is always a chance that we could be connected, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with your Kerslakes.

Do you have a POB or DOB for John Kerslake?

Thanks, and good luck!

Ryan.

:)
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ryan,
I dont have a birth date or birth place for John Kerslake snr. which is why I initially started this enquiry, to see if anyone recognised these names mentioned in their tree. I can only assume that he was born perhaps circa 1760's-1790's? It seems to have been a bit of a tradition to name all the first born sons John as I have found in my family tree. However with the new information just sent to me this may not be the case anymore.
I noted a couple of surnames that you are also researching tho', Burkes (mine married into the Kerslake family in Malta) and Conley ( I have Connelly but cant find them anywhere but Plymouth of Irish descent, Jeremiah, Catherine, Charles and Johanna)
Just a thought. Thanks for getting in contact with me so soon.
All the best
Debbie

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 August 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jorose for that information, it just gets more tangled, however I love a mystery. Where could  I go for marriage data of this John Kerslake?
Many thanks again
Best wishes
Debbie

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 August 05 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again Debbie.
If it's any interest to you I have a John Kerslake who fits within the age range: John Kerslake born ABT 1778 in Crediton, son of Richard and Mary.

Unfortunately no Conleys or Burkes in Devon or Malta.

Best wishes,

Ryan.

HOPKINS in Shaftesbury

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,
Sorry its been ages!
Phew still slogging on with this lot! Isn't it fascinating how we appear to have a few surnames in common, Kerslake, Connolly and Burke!
However, back to the Kerskakes and in particular John snr. I have a marriage between John Kerslake and Frances Taylor in Exeter in 1801 . Exeter is awfully near Crediton isnt it? The young John born about 1778 sounds very promising.
Do you have a Samuel Kerslake born Crediton 1756 in your tree? I have a copy of his will dated 1727. He died in 1729 in Battersea.

Let me know
Best
Debbie

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie!
Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes you're quite right, Crediton is very near to Exeter. However, the only Samuel Kerslake I have in my tree was born 1786 in Crediton, son of Richard & Elizabeth.

Please feel free to view all of my names at my site. You can access it via my profile.

Do keep in touch :)

Ryan.
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury

Offline eclaireir

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie.
I have Kerslakes in Crediton and Bickleigh (+ a few in Exeter) in Devon. I haven't been able to bring my Kerslakes very far forward into the 1800s, as I have a whole bunch of them in the late 1700s. There is always a chance that we could be connected, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with your Kerslakes.

Do you have a POB or DOB for John Kerslake?

Thanks, and good luck

Ryan.

Hi Ryan, I came across your (very old!) post recently in my search for Kerslakes, Crediton, pre 1800 and wonder if you have a tree somewhere. I have done reasonably well for the 19th century (my great grandfather was a Crediton Kerslake born in about 1848 who moved to Liverpool, then to the Channel Islands and ended up in London) but I would love some help with unscrambling the many, many layers. Thanks
Eclaireir