Author Topic: British Army Solider -Marriage in Uniform - Possibly Thomas & Emily Sheffield  (Read 3389 times)

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wanted to know if anyone could help me date the photo attached?

I am trying to trace my great grandfather and he married my great grandmother while he was a solider in the local barracks in Sheffield.

I found the image attached in my grandmothers home after she passed away. I believe this could be him but cannot date the photograph.

Please feel free to colour the image :)

Thank you in advance.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Solider -Marriage in Uniform - Possibly Thomas & Emily Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Hard to give a definitive date but post WW2. He is wearing 1938 pattern battledress, has medal ribbons and two long service and good conduct stripes.

Do you have a date for the marriage, hopefully between 1946 and early 50s which would fit with the above.

John915

Added; the good conduct stripes were for 2 and 6 years service with no blemishes on his records.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Solider -Marriage in Uniform - Possibly Thomas & Emily Sheffield
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 19 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. In the subject header I mentioned maybe this was Thomas and Emily.

However their wedding was dated 1912, so now I’m thinking this isn’t Thomas and Emily.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Bit of colour

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me an estimated age for the two people in the photograph?

Thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Do you have any other photographs of Thomas and Emily (even when older) for us to compare and tell you if we think it might be the same couple?

I think these two could be in their be late teens early 20s I think. They look very young.

Her dress looks a little old fashioned for the 40's but it could well be a hand-me-down or remodelled gown. In a lot of the wedding photos we see in this era, the woman is wearing a 'best dress' rather than a wedding dress.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I would agree with 1940s and them being in their 20s.

Ruskie....materials would have been in short supply in the mid-late 1940s and rationing was still in operation into the 1950s. Her dress looks home made and could be made from parachute silk.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kylemacca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi,

I don't know for sure if this is 100% Thomas and Emily.

My grandfather and grandmother married in 1945, however images i have of my grandmother when she was younger and I'm 99.9% sure this is not her in the photo. My grandfather was 27 in 1945 and my grandmother 18. They married at the registry office in Sheffield. I think the venue in this image looks similar to a church then the registry office.

I have an image of who i believe may be the same couple attached file name "9" and I believe there is a likeness of the soldier to my grand father in attached image "3" he's on the right. I don't believe they are the same person.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Your photos didn't attach Kyle...if you try again you need to rename the file, just add a number or letter to the file.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU