Author Topic: Census record issue  (Read 1895 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census record issue
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, think so

You want

Household schedule number:   35
Piece:   1853
Folio:   494
Page Number:   10

or just search for Jane Alexander, keyword Rushton in the 1851
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 April 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I did get there from Robert Alexander, and amended my post with extra bits.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 April 19 08:01 BST (UK) »
The lines are as others have stated separating individual families as required by the enumerators instructions for the 1851 census
"...Under the last name in any house he should draw a line across the page as far as the fifth column. Where there is more than one Occupier in the same house, he should draw a similar line under the last name of the family of each Occupier ; making the line, however, in this case, commence a little on the left hand side of the third column, as in the example on page vi...."

Unfortunately due to Ancestry scanning in black and white rather than greyscale it is difficult to distinguish between printed lines and lines added by the enumerator and others, i.e. the clerks who processed the returns, Findmypast scanned the 1851census in greyscale which alleviates that problem as the marks & inks can be differentiated.

The problem on the next page is also caused by Ancestry scanning in black & white rather than greyscale and poor quality control

I got a bit curious so looked at the next page... there they all were BUT

the top 5 lines on this page, all except the very last two columns, are unreadable, are solid black with ragged fuzzy edges - one can just see a name Frances,  then all the rest are clearly visible below. There is information in the last two columns on those top few lines. 

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 April 19 08:19 BST (UK) »
In 1851 the end of the 'family' was marked by a line across the page, similar to that indicating the end of a house, but only running across part of the second column, as well as the third and fourth. The line for the end of the house ran completely across the first four columns. In addition the beginning of a new household was marked by a new schedule number in the column provided for that purpose.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799325.msg6567473#msg6567473

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 April 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
I think we can forgive the Ancestry transciber on this occasion!

Findmypast has an undamaged version of the page, showing the mystery family as that of Frances [sic] Smith, 40 b Middlesex, London, Rector of the Parish.

His wife is Mary, 41 b Essex, Woodford.

Children:

Mary 10 b Dorset, Blandford
Frances, 9 b Dorset, Blandford [male]
Emily, 8 b Dorset, Blandford
Fanny, 6 b Dorset, Rushton
Edmund, 4 b Dorset, Rushton
Henrietta, 2 b Dorset, Rushton
Arthur, 1 b Dorset, Rushton

Thank goodness for FindMyPast and AVM228 - at least it's easy to see why transcribers and others were having a hard time understanding this page
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 April 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I got my bit all sorted from the first page, but others searching this same group have used the ancestry info and not find my past apparently. so they have the jumbled mess.

Thanks to avm228  and others with the tech info as to the scanning process I can pass that on and help them move forward too.  Hopefully. :)

It also makes me feel a lot better knowing about the other family. 

Yeah!!   

thanks  a million

Essnell

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 April 19 09:20 BST (UK) »
It’s always a good idea to look at the image rather than just the transcription. If others had done this they would realise that these are different households.

Good that you have sorted your family anyway.  :)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 April 19 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi  Everyone,

Yes Ruskie,

I usually look for both search site results and I may have done so but the image I used seemed OK to me. Guess I used FindMyPast only.   

Lesson from this is always check both search places just as a verification and the images around the one that you are interested in.

Sometimes there is other info on neighbours that is useful there too.  I had that happen less than 24 hrs ago for another group.  One family on one page and another related by marriage on the next and both visible together.    Neighbours in the same small village and parish.

Thanks all Essnell.