Author Topic: Disappearance of thatched cottages around Sherington watercress beds  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Disappearance of thatched cottages around Sherington watercress beds
« on: Friday 12 April 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
The other day I returned to the site of what used to be the watercress beds/ponds in Sherington village in the Wylye Valley.  When I was at the small Preparatory School nearby called Greenways between 1955 and 1960 we used to crocodile past on our way to church on a Sunday.  What I vividly remember was not only the flourishing water cress, but several very old thatched cottages surrounding those beds. I left the area in 1960.
Those cottages are not there any more - so can anyone tell me what happened to them and when they met their demise possibly. Picture postcard stuff they were, in the late 1950's at least....
Many thanks,
Keith

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearance of thatched cottages around Sherington watercress beds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
There is a photo of one on geograph (admittedly 12 years old) https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/327251

There appear to be several via Google streetview, or are you talking about a different spot?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nnd/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
This is an map of the village in early 1900's with a parallel modern map.  There seem to be a number of beds  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=51.1516&lon=-2.0580&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
JenB,
Thanks so much for putting those images on...it's just that I remember so many more cottages along the watercress beds.  I was wondering whether they were all owned by some kind of local estate or manor and had been allowed to fall down into disrepair, or had indeed been pulled down lawfully.  Perhaps my childhood memories are playing tricks on me!
Keith
Lovely to see the swans enjoying themselves there...
...Kay99, posts crossed in the ether, thanks so much for adding more fascinating evidence to this thread.  Would be wonderful if someone came on here who has lived nearby and would know exactly what has happened in Sherington in the subsequent nearly 60 years since I saw it.

Offline Julie Chivers

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith Sherwood, I would like to further discuss with you Sherrington thatched cottages as I have lived all my life in one next to the old watercress beds and my contact email is

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.