Author Topic: The MILLET family in Quebec  (Read 660 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The MILLET family in Quebec
« on: Saturday 13 April 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
I have two families, Jeanne Millet (Guillaume Langlois) & Nicolas Millet (Catherine Lorion) in my database. I descend from both families. I know (from TANGUAY) that Nicolas is the son of Jacques Millet/ Jeanne Vincent. My research indicates that Jeanne Millet was also a daughter of Jacques/ Jeanne Vincent. The problem is that there is a significant discrepancy in birth dates & marriage dates for these two couples.
Nicolas Millet married Catherine Lorion 9Apr 1657, Montreal.
They had the following children in Montréal: Catherine 1658-1722 (Jean Raynaud 1671); Nicolas 1660-1735 (Catherine Chaperon 1684/ Catherine Gauthier 1695); Marie 1662-1751 (Jean Lacombe 1678); Jacques 1667-1745 (Elisabeth Hubert 1688); Jean 1674-1714 (M-Françoise Lamoureux 1702).
Jeanne Millet married Guillaume Langlois about 1590, St-Leonard-des-Parcs,  Alençon, Normandie.
They had the following children in France: Marguerite 1596-1665 (Abraham Martin 1621/ René Branche 1665); Françoise 1599 (Pierre Desportes 1629); Marie 1600 (Jean Juchereau 1621); Noël 1603-84 (Françoise Grenier 1634/ Marie Crevet 1666); Jean 1605-58 (Jacquette Charpentier 1630).
I feel confident that the information on Nicolas is correct.
However, I am unable to conclusively prove that Jeanne was the sister of Nicolas and daughter of Jacques Millet/ Jeanne Vincent.
Can anyone provide some clarification to this conundrum. Thank you.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The MILLET family in Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 19 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hello there.

This link has some info about about the burial of Nicholas plus some other notes. Sources included.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155081231

My thoughts....

If Jeanne (who married Guillaume) was b. ca. 1575 and her mother was about 16 when she was born, Jeanne (the mother) would have been about 70 years old or so by the time Nicholas was born. If she was older when her daughter was born, she would have been even older when Nicholas was born. I don't see how it would be possible for Jeanne and Nicholas to have the same mother.

Technically, Jeanne and Nicholas could have had the same father if Jeanne's father married a second woman also named Jeanne Vincent. I have no idea what the odds of that happening would be?

Anyway, food for thought.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
My sentiments exactly. Further research on my part revealed that Jacques Millet/ Jeanne Vincent had another son named Jacques. I suspect that he must have been the father of Nicolas. My concern is that all the material I have reviewed, including TANGUAY, have claimed that Nicolas & Jeanne were both children of Jacques Millet/ Jeanne Vincent. I don't know if an answer is out there, other than possibly reviewing archive material in France. Thanks for your reply.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again....

You mentioned earlier that you were descended from both mentioned families which suggests a marriage united the lines at some point. Was this in Quebec? Do you have the record? Would you feel comfortable posting about it here if not too recent?

I'm afraid I can't help you with research in France but there is a Europe-related board on RootsChat in case you haven't seen it.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion. I will follow up on this.
Since my first posting, I have done further research & determined that Nicolas Millet who married Catherine Lorion 1657, is the son of Jacques Millet/ Jeanne Vincent. (both TANGUAY and Jette confirm this).
Jeanne Millet, who married Guillaume Langlois around 1590, was not a sibling of Nicolas as many researchers have claimed. I have not been able to determine her parentage and suspect that further research would have to be carried out in France to come up with that answer. It would be interesting to have that information, as I descend from both Millets.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen