Author Topic: 1939 Register annotation  (Read 532 times)

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register annotation
« on: Sunday 14 April 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
I have just been looking at the 1939 Register entry for a man whom I believe may be my grandfather.

Just to the left of his entry appears this annotation: I.C. (although the I could just as well be a 1)

It looks to me as if this was written at the same time, and by the same hand, as the name & date of birth were entered and it is therefore not a later addition.

Might anyone have an idea as to what the annotation I.C. (or 1.C.) was meant to indicate?

Willyam

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register annotation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
If you post a snippett of it or tell us who you are looking at we may be able to help.  It is always easier for us when we can see the entry you are referring to
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register annotation
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 19 23:33 BST (UK) »
Rosie,

Sorry for not replying sooner - it has been a bit of a "long" week.

I fear that I may have somewhat wasted your time as I believe that I have now established that the letters of I.C. were probably the initials of the enumerator - who was simply indicating a correction.

My thinking for this is that one of the forenames initially entered was incorrect and it was then crossed through and the correct forename was written above.

I have looked at the preceding & the following pages in the handwriting of this enumerator and I.C. does not recur otherwise.

Thanks for your interest nonetheless.

Willyam