Author Topic: Origins/maiden name of Mary Stone  (Read 797 times)

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origins/maiden name of Mary Stone
« on: Sunday 14 April 19 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am just wondering if anybody can help me please with the origins of my 5th great grandmother Mary Stone.

Her son Samuel Stone (my 4th great grandfather) was baptised 24/08/1818 in Boylestone, parents Joseph and Mary. There are no other children from this marriage that I am aware of.

On Samuel's marriage certificate to my 4th great grandmother Sarah Edgley date 1839 in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, his father Joseph is listed as a labourer.

I believe this is the correct marriage for Joseph and Mary:

Joseph Stone, a labourer and widower, married Mary Henson, a widow 09/02/1818 in St Werburgh, Derby. Both of this parish and married by banns. Joseph marked his name with an 'X' and Mary could sign her name. Marriage witnesses James Tunstall and Joseph Featherstone.

Joseph and Mary Stone appear in the 1841 census in Boylestone. Joseph was aged 72 (born about 1769), an ag lab. Mary Stone, aged 55 (born about 1786).

Joseph Stone I believe was buried 19/07/1847 in Boylestone aged 78 (born about 1769). Although there is another burial 19/07/1849, aged 78 (born about 1771). Think I will have to buy the death certificates to identify the correct death of my ancestor.

Mary Stone was buried 12/08/1842 aged 62 (born about 1780).

I believe Joseph Stone first married Elizabeth Bourne 01/02/1790 in Boylestone. There were several children from this marriage. It appears he was baptised 30/07/1769 in Boylestone to Joseph and Elizabeth Stone.

I am struggling to find Mary Stone's (formerly Henson) previous marriage to identify who her previous husband was. I don't know if she had any children from this previous marriage. I am hoping to find her first marriage to establish what her maiden name was and a baptism for her.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :-)