Author Topic: East India Company Employees  (Read 2667 times)

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
East India Company Employees
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, so yesterday I solved a mystery as to why I couldn't find my great great grandmother or her family prior to a the 1881 Census, firstly, they weren't here, secondly, her parents were Irish, which I didn't know, so chance are they weren't here either.

I finally found someone with the same name as her parents in the 91 census, same profession (bricklayer) and a younger Sibling I knew nothing of. This younger siblings place of birth said she was born in East India.

Oddly, I also found a registration for someone of the same name, and same time in Walsall, (where they were from)
Would British subjects in India be registered over here still?

Also, could someone point me in the direction of a register of employees of the EIC and its successor after it was disbanded? (whose name I forget, its been years since school)
Would a bricklayer be a desirable trade for the EIC?

Many thanks!
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: East India Company Employees
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the India births on FindMyPast?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the India births on FindMyPast?

No, I don't have a subscription to that website.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
Can you give some details of the family in the 1881/1891 censuses?

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 19 16:49 BST (UK) »
Can you give some details of the family in the 1881/1891 censuses?

Hello, I'm not at my computer at the moment so can give you the precise details, but I can remember bits.

Charles Oakley, born in either Kidderminster or Ireland, his wife Mary, born in Ireland, and daughter Mary Ann, born East India. Charles is a Bricklayer, and they're either in Kingston, London, or Walsall, Staffs

The 81 census on ancestry says he's 50,but this is a transcription error, he's actually 56.

I can't remember any other details at the top of my head.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
so is this the family in 1881?

1 Brighton Place, Walsall RG11/2825 folio 9 pg 11
Charles Oakley head mar 45 labourer b. Ireland
Mary wife 52 b. Ireland
Mary Ann dau 18 dressmaker b. Dinapore? India
Eliza dau 12 b. Dinapore
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
There was a Charles Oakley in Dinapore in 1861, a soldier with 38th Foot. He was still in India in 1871, by then a Sergeant. He appears in the Indian Mutiny medal list.

I can't find baptisms for the children as yet.