Author Topic: Frederick Miller born Frederick Kettle  (Read 585 times)

Offline stonemonkey79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Miller born Frederick Kettle
« on: Monday 22 April 19 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im trying to trace an ancestor and have reached a brick wall. Try as I might I can't find away through it, maybe someone here can help! I'm looking for a Frederick Miller, who was my husbands Great Great Grandfather. He was originally born a Kettle

Hannah Maria Garrard married George Kettle in 1836. They had a few kids before he died in 1847 and lived in Duck Lane. Frederick was born in 1849. No Father named but was given his mother’s married (widow) name Kettle. Definately couldn't be George's son because he's been passed 2 years. He was born Duck Lane according to birth cert.

By 1851 the Kettle family were in the workhouse, BUT later that year Hannah married a Frederick Miller, and the next census (1861) the Kettle children have scattered and there are a bunch of Miller children living with them, including Fredreick who, despite his birth name, is now going by Miller.

If he was really Frederick snr's son, why were they in the workhouse without him and why, even theough they were unmarried, would he not be named on the birth certificate?

I would love to find out why the family was in the workhouse, I'm assuming it was because she was an unmarried/widowed mother with an illegitimate child? And just when they entered and left exactly. Parentage at this point seems hopeless lol.

Thanks to all, I appreciate any help with this!

Toni

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Miller born Frederick Kettle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
As his parents weren't married Frederick would have his mothers legal name which was Kettle.   Unless the father had also gone to register the birth he would not be named on the certificate.

It does sound like Frederick Miller was probably young Frederick's father.   Who can say why his mother didn't marry Frederick Miller until late 1851 but clearly at the time of the census she had no support hence the family finding themselves in the workhouse.

I note that in 1861 there is a couple living with the Miller family i.e. James Bridges and wife Elizabeth.   Elizabeth would appear to be Hannah Maria's daughter Elizabeth Kettle who married James Bridges Dec.qtr.1860 Colchester.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonemonkey79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Miller born Frederick Kettle
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 19 03:41 BST (UK) »
HI Annette,

Agreed about Elizabeth. I also looked for Frances as he was relatively young in 1851 too, and he appears to be lving with Hannah Marias & Georges eldest daughter (Hannah) elsewhere. Withough looking back at my information I can't be certain of her married name.

Wonder why they all scattered.