Author Topic: Help with odd Burial Entry  (Read 438 times)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with odd Burial Entry
« on: Wednesday 24 April 19 12:28 BST (UK) »
I have found this entry in the microfilmed burial register for 1698 of South Shields St Hilda (see attached photo).

The page is in two columns with burials in each column. Each column has two sub columns in the first of which is a word; In each entry this has a capital letter followed by 'ward'. The burial I am interested in (indicated by a red arrow) reads '15 Eliner Morton' above the row is 'John' and there is also a line looping up to a character which I cannot read.

I'm of the view that the Clerk originally wrote 'Eliner Morton' but then realised that he'd missed something out, tried to change it to read either 'Eliner d. John Morton' or 'Eliner w. John Morton'. I've never come across the 'ward' issue before.

can anyone offer any help?

Thanks

Andrew

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with odd Burial Entry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 22:19 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if the first column relates to the date ie day or month?  I can't immediately think of how 'ward' would fit in here but presumably the number which follows it is the day of the month and most PRs are in this format.  Any chance of a photo of more of the page so we can get a feel for the handwriting and compare letters/figures?

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 07:16 BST (UK) »
Just an idea: Seeing as it is a burial register, could ward simply be referring to the row/section of graves in the cemetery?

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
Bearing in mind that this is a burial in 1698, I don't think it's an area of the graveyard. I've attached part of the previous page which shows the column more clearly and looking at it I think that it refers to areas of South shields where the deceased lived as it has entries for 'E ward', 'w ward', 'w panns', etc.

I now think the entry reads:

'November'

'E ward 15 Eliner w John Morton'