Author Topic: Chubb in Shrewton & Surrey  (Read 955 times)

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chubb in Shrewton & Surrey
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
A couple of my Chubb cousins asked if they were related to the Chubb family who gifted Stonehenge to the British public. I said I thought not, but would see what I could find out.

The records I have for 'our' Chubb family:

A John Frederick Chubb married Katherine Richardson (previous name Wright). They had a son, Ernest William Chubb, born 10 Nov 1869 Surrey, London, England (birth registered at Saint Saviour, County of Surrey). Ernest emigrated to Canada in the 1890s. He gave his father's occupation as "oilman".

The Stonehenge Chubb line (from Wiki):

Alfred Chubb marries Mary. Their son Cecil Herbert Edward Chubb, born 14 Apr 1876 Shrewton. Cecil was knighted in 1919 (for the gift of Stonehenge). He gave his father's occupation as "saddler & harness maker".

My records are inadequate to answer the question. Can anyone say if a connection exists?

Thanks in advance (from myself & the Chubbs) for any help on this query.

Brian

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Chubb in Shrewton & Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
Have you not researched Alfred Chubb via the various censuses/marriage etc to determine his parentage/birthplace?

Where were John Frederick and Katherine born?

If they were born to different parents then you need to see whether their fathers were related

You can look for census info free on www.familysearch.org and you can look up the respective births/marriages on www.freebmd.org.uk

A John Frederick Chubb married Katherine Richardson (previous name Wright)

1860 Marriage reg and baptism for Ernest shows her as Catherine.  Marriage cert shows her as a spinster aged 26 father George Wright occ licensed victualler - no mention of Richardson

John Frederick was a bachelor aged 37- occ looks like Italian warehouseman??  Father John occ "Gentleman"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 03:05 BST (UK) »
Catherine Wright's mother Mary Ann remarried to a Richard Richardson in 1839 (father George Wright died 1835).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 04:05 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry shows no parents for John Frederick Chubb but he was born 23/2/1823, bp.23/3/1823 Clerkenwell, son of John and Elizabeth.  His birthplace given as Clerkenwell on census.  (When you see, as on JF's marriage, that his father is a 'Gentleman' you can usually take that with a pinch of salt!).

In actual fact, his father John was an Enameller -  shown on census as bc.1793 St. Lukes, London.   John Chubb married Elizabeth Smith Hall 16/5/1822 St. George Hanover Square, London.

John Chubb born 25/7/1792, bp.17/6/1796 St. Lukes, Middlesex, son of John and Rhoda.
Rhoda Sarah Chubb born 29/4/1796,   ditto                               ditto

Cannot see a marriage for John and Rhoda.

Cecil's father Alfred bc.1852 Shrewton, Wilts., son of John (also a Saddler) and wife Jane.   John was bc.1819 Titchfield, Hampshire -  bp.30/5/1819 Titchfield, son of John and Ann.

So, with your line firmly entrenched in London and Cecil's grandfather born in Hampshire it seem's highly unlikely that these 2 families are related.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 April 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the responses.

I contacted my Chubb cousins and reported that a connection was "highly unlikely". They weren't terribly disappointed. I also sent along all the 'new' information from the census & records office plus the site sources in case they wanted to update their family tree.

Again, thanks.

Brian

Offline Nodrogchavez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 November 19 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ernest William Chubb was my grandfather, was born in London, England November 10th, 1869 and died here in Vancouver on May 6th, 1956.  He married in Roblin, Manitoba, Canada to Mabel Matilda Cuthbertson on January 9th, 1905.  She was born in Sharbot Lake, Ontario on August 4th, 1883, and died in Vancouver on November 7th, 1976.  I have the full family tree posted at Ancestry under my name - Gordon Sharpe.

Offline Nodrogchavez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 November 19 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian. I haven't collected information beyond our first cousins.

Gordon