Author Topic: Mary Ann Buckley b1821 in Cork  (Read 4590 times)

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Buckley b1821 in Cork
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all - this is my first time on Roots, so please forgive any misteps.
I am trying to find the parents of my 3rd great-grandmother Mary Ann Buckley (1821 - 1864)
Mary Ann (Molly) left Ireland for Australia in 1841 either aboard the Mary Nixon or Portland, married James Watson 1815-1861, moved to Tasmania and started their life.
I can not for the life of my find her parents! There are so many Mary Ann Buckleys born in Cork in 1821.
Has anyone else come across Mary Ann in their travels or can help me to work out how to better identify her parents? All I have from her life in Ireland is her passenger details leaving for Australia, and even then, she's turning on up two different ships!

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated! :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Buckley b1821 in Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 04:51 BST (UK) »

Can you post the 2 Shipping references?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=811982.msg6722889 is your other thread in Oz that people need to be made aware of in case replies get posted there.....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Good spotting Hallmark  :D  :D Does this help?  I posted on the other thread as well. 

Here is the digitised passenger List for the Mary Nixon, arriving 1841.

The list is in several sections .... families, single men,  single women.

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5316/4_4814/Mary%20Nixon_30%20Nov%201841/4_481400107.jpg&No=4

page 4

Single Women
Mary BUCKLEY, 20, general servant, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, native of Cork.

May I mention that this lass is noted there as Mary BUCKLEY, not Mary Ann.  Perhaps it is not significant, but there are other lasses on that list who were recorded as Mary Ann  - see page 1 for example.

Here is the live link to the Portland's digitised passenger list (1841)
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5316/4_4787/Portland_11%20Mar%201841/4_478700196.jpg&No=7

Page 7.
Single Women
Margaret BUCKLEY, 17,  Dressmaker, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, Limerick
Mary BUCKLEY, 19, Dressmaker, Servant, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, Limerick

I wonder if Margaret and Mary BUCKLEY were sisters?  And if looking for Margaret would help identify the parents? 

So one lass was from Limerick and one was from Cork. Limerick arrived 11 March 1841 to Sydney NSW and she was aged 19, and perhaps her sister came with her.    The Cork lass  arrived 30 November 1841 to Port Philip (ie to what is now Melbourne, Victoria) and she was aged 20.

Fingers crossed.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:58 BST (UK) »
Mary BUCKLEY married James WATSON, in1842, and the ceremony is recorded in the Roman Catholic registers for St Francis, in Melbourne.

Victoria was not hived off from NSW until 1851, so the mc is indexed at both Vic BDM and at NSW BDM.  NSW has it with the district code as LR.  And the year 1842, Volume 91, line 1196
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Documents/early-church-codes.pdf

Vic BDM has the marriage indexed as  #200 / 1842,  Melbourne

The information on the parish registers in that era can often be scant, but it should include the names of the witnesses.  If one of the witnesses was Margaret, then that could be the sister … but I would suggest it is more likely that the clue is in where the voyage ended … Sydney or Melbourne …

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:05 BST (UK) »
Can I just say you are all wonderful! Thank you so much for helping me.

I'm feeling pretty confident that the Mary Nixon is the correct ship that she arrived on. Her brother James also appears on the manifest. (However there is a James on the Portland too!)

Any ideas on how I can better nail down her parents given what information I do have?
I have two potential sets of parents based on baptism records in Cork.
Either Denis Buckley and Mary Hogan, or Jerh Buckley and Cathe Connor.
How can I get any further clarity on this?

If it's not obvious, I'm fairly new to this game.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:18 BST (UK) »
Portland
Single Men
Francis BUCKLEY, 22 Carpenter, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, Limerick.

Re two threads about same person ...best to concentrate on just the one thread.  If this were my ancestor, and I wanted info about their origins, I would post on the board that covers those origins.  Don't start another thread on the Limerick board, perhaps just pause and post on this board only until Hallmark has returned to this (Cork) board.

Some questions to consider
 ;D Do you have the 1842  marriage for your Mary BUCKLEY? ... if so, what names for the witnesses
 ;D What names for the children of James and Mary WATSON? ... perhaps a naming pattern
 ;D Re 'Cork' do give some thought as to how and why you decided your Mary was from Cork.  Perhaps on a headstone or in a newspaper cutting or otherwise, or even speculations ... 

JM

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:38 BST (UK) »
Some questions to consider
 Do you have the 1842  marriage for your Mary BUCKLEY? ... if so, what names for the witnesses
- No I don't have the actual marriage certificate. Just place and date. And a reference #35392

What names for the children of James and Mary WATSON? ... perhaps a naming pattern
Naming patterns might be a good avenue to look in to, especially as one of the children is named Kilner (such an odd name, I've never come across it before)
Other names are Catherine, Alexander, David, Isabella, Ellen, and Henry. I'll follow that path and see what I find.

Re 'Cork' do give some thought as to how and why you decided your Mary was from Cork.  Perhaps on a headstone or in a newspaper cutting or otherwise, or even speculations ... 
Ok, so Cork came from discussions I had with a relative who said that she came across from Cork and met James on the boat. This also aligned with other trees made by other people, but unless I can confirm a BC or Baptism record, I have nothing concrete.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:47 BST (UK) »
Here is the death registration for James WATSON who died in 1861,  not sure how to confirm if he was the husband of Mary BUCKLEY. 

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD35-1-30p114j2k

James WATSON, aged 45 years, died 5th April 1861, a Ships Carpenter, storekeeper.  Port Sorell, Tasmania.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38759225   27 April 1861 Launceston Examiner
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65570582 10 April 1861 Cornwall Chronicle (wife and large family, but no names mentioned)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38758923 11 April 1861  names son in law and also daughter, INQUEST  :)

JM

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:51 BST (UK) »
Dates and location of death, and cause of death match up. I hadn't seen that one, or the April 10th notice, but again dates and location match :)
I have the inquest details.

It seems that once they get to Aus I have a good trail for them, it's before they got here that is such a mystery!