Author Topic: Monumental inscriptions for the Halifax Parish Church in Yorkshire  (Read 664 times)

Offline NLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monumental inscriptions for the Halifax Parish Church in Yorkshire
« on: Friday 26 April 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the monumental inscription for 4 children that were buried in the Halifax Parish Churchyard according to parish burial records. Searching the Family History film for monumental inscriptions for St. John the Baptist Church I could not find them.  I did find their parents' monumental inscription using the Family History film for St. James Churchyard.  The parents were buried in 1843 & 1864, so quite awhile afterwards. 
Ann Hemingway died Jan 7, 1819 age 2 years
James Hemingway died June 16, 1819 listed as an infant (age 7 months)
Eli Hemingway died Feb 8, 1824 age 1.5 years
Thomas Hemingway died Sept 2, 1828 listed as an infant.  I cannot find his baptism record.
Is there anywhere else that I can look?  Is there an index of MI's for Halifax Parish Church?
Thank you,
Nancy

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental inscriptions for the Halifax Parish Church in Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
Sometimes the local Family History Society hold Monumental Inscriptions for churches in their area.

In this case it should be Calderdale FHS -- it may be worth contacting them.

https://www.cfhsweb.com/contact-us/

However many headstones everywhere are damaged, illegible or never existed, so there may just not be any for these children.

If grave registers (as opposed to burial registers) exist for this church - you may find details of where in the churchyard they are. Usually these registers were held by the church - or transferred to local archives. Many no longer exist though.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline NLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pennines.

I live in Canada, but will make contact with the places you have suggested.

I appreciate your reply.

Nancy

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
No problem Nancy -- I am only sorry I can't be more helpful.

Grave 'Registers' needed to be kept so that the church officials knew which patch of ground was already used - especially if there was no headstone! It usually gives details of the 'place' where the person was buried, and who bought the plot. As you will appreciate -- not everyone could afford to purchase a plot for a burial.

Children and babies were sometimes placed into other plots together as not so much space was needed (I am so sorry -- that sounds awful - but I don't know how else to say it).

As Church graveyards became full -- public cemeteries were provided --but this started around the mid 1800s - so your children should be in the Church graveyard somewhere.

Good Luck with it Nancy -- finding burial places can often be difficult.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.