Author Topic: Identity of VC soldier  (Read 3297 times)

Offline haymur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identity of VC soldier
« on: Friday 26 April 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of my grandfather Joseph Byrne (on left) from Co Dublin it was taken in 1914-1918 I think in Ireland the corporal beside him is wearing a Victoria Cross we would love to know who he is. I have looked up VC winners from Ireland in WW1 but only some of them have photo's shown. There seems to be 27 Irish born VC winners and a total 167 over various campaign's since it was first given out. I don't know which regiment my grandfather was in. He was wounded but survived the war along with his two brother's in law and died in 1936. Any help would be welcome.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identity of VC soldier
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 19 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Haymur and welcome to RootsChat, I can't help with your query but had to ask, did you colour the photo yourself? Is there anything written on the back that might help?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:26 BST (UK) »
It looks like they are photographed in a home situation. In the fields near where one of them (or both) lives. It looks like a typical scene in Ireland. Could they be relatives? Brothers, Cousins? Both had to get to the site of the photograph which indicates some sort of relationship. I say a typical scene. Could it be identified?   

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Haymur,a long shot but with Joseph being from Dublin there's a strong possibility the Royal Dublin Fusilier's may have been his Regiment might be worth checking any VC winner's from that regiment as a
starting point,that said looking at the medal roll index there were an awful lot of Joseph Byrne's in the
regiment,there does seem a good few in Ancestry's service record's that have survived sadly I'm not a
full member so no access but I'm sure someone will be along soon that might help any information ie
address,wife etc would be a great help.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline haymur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Haymur,a long shot but with Joseph being from Dublin there's a strong possibility the Royal Dublin Fusilier's may have been his Regiment might be worth checking any VC winner's from that regiment as a
starting point,that said looking at the medal roll index there were an awful lot of Joseph Byrne's in the
regiment,there does seem a good few in Ancestry's service record's that have survived sadly I'm not a
full member so no access but I'm sure someone will be along soon that might help any information ie

It looks like they are photographed in a home situation. In the fields near where one of them (or both) lives. It looks like a typical scene in Ireland. Could they be relatives? Brothers, Cousins? Both had to get to the site of the photograph which indicates some sort of relationship. I say a typical scene. Could it be identified?   
My grandfather lived in the Suburbs of Dublin and the man is not a relative/friend from home it may have been taken down near Athlone where I belive a lot of training was done. It looks as he was off duty when it was taken as he is holding a swagger stick

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
Does'nt seem to be any VC awarder to the RDF.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline haymur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
My cousin in the UK has gone down that line of inquiry but with no firm results. also checking records for personal can be costly as they say it costs them £750 as they are not digitized

Offline haymur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 19 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Haymur and welcome to RootsChat, I can't help with your query but had to ask, did you colour the photo yourself? Is there anything written on the back that might help?
Carol
I tried a repair to remove a fold/rip but I stayed with B/W . My cousin in the UK got this one restored from someone in Northern Ireland. There is nothing on the back

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 19 00:14 BST (UK) »
Each time I look at this photo I think Benbulben.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benbulbin
I'm not convinced though.