Author Topic: Look up request Robert Ellis death in Bourne 1946  (Read 899 times)

Offline MrsMoneypenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request Robert Ellis death in Bourne 1946
« on: Friday 26 April 19 23:52 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandfather Robert Ellis died aged 89 in the June quarter of 1946, the story we were given is that he fell or was knocked off his pushbike and run over by the following lorry or tractor? He left a widow Rose aged 40 and 5 children. Just wondering if this made the local news of the area and if there is any record of what really happened. Thank you for looking

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request Robert Ellis death in Bourne 1946
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 19 00:56 BST (UK) »
His death cert will give you his cause of death.  PDF copies are available from the GRO for £7

Are you sure you have the right death?  He was 89 and Rose was 40?? The 1939 register gives 1884 as his birth year

There is a Robert Ellis b 1857 on the 1939 so it looks as though the 1946 death is his.

Could yours be the 1948 death in Spalding?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MrsMoneypenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
I have been told one of my uncles was 11 when his dad died so that was my reason for thinking it was that death. I admit I was shocked by the age gap and question if I have it right, however Rose Burton ( my grandmother) appears to have had her first child out of wedlock a year before the marriage to Robert Ellis took place, wondering if she accepted a marriage from an older man to give her respectability. If I'm right that child, (my late aunt Kathleen) was born in horncastle in 1926 while all the children from the marriage were registered in Spalding. I may be chasing the wrong Robert Ellis.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 19 10:40 BST (UK) »
 Robert Ellis, son of Edward Ellis, married Rose Burton, daughter of George Burton, in Deeping Fen on 2nd November 1929 and had five children after the marriage. The first registered in Bourne and the others in Spalding.

I think Rose's brother, George, is next door in Spalding 1939. 1901 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9YQ-Z8M

The other Robert lived in Hacconby, near Bourne.

The Stamford Mercury is the usual newspaper for the Bourne area and there is also the Lincolnshire Chronicle, but nothing comes to light in those.

The 'Spalding Free Press' was operating untill 1950 and some years can be viewed online until 1939 - https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/titles/lincolnshire-free-press

The current newspapers are the 'Lincolnshire Free Press' and 'Spalding Guardian' but I can't see anything online.

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Rose Ellen Burton was baptised on 7th October 1906 in Deeping St James, daughter of George and Mary Ann. Registered as Rose Helen in Bourne Oct-Dec 1906.

She was only 19 or 20 when she married but gave her age as 23. Robert gave his age as 45.

David

Offline MrsMoneypenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you David, She did have five children that I'm aware of but I was told my late auntie Kathleen was 10 years older than my dad which would make her born 1926, I found a Kathleen Burton born horncastle mar qua which would make her before the marriage. The four I have that I know about are my three deceased uncles Robert 1930, Fred 1931, Anthony, 1934 and then my dad who is still alive Brian 1936. They were all registered in Spalding.

I found her birth as Rose Helen but family always said she was Rose Ellen

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
Roberts birth in 1884 and Rose in 1906 would match a 20+ yr age gap.  I really think he is the 1948
death

Deaths December qtr 1948   
Robert Ellis 64    Spalding    3b   54

One of the deceased children you mention above is shown on the 1939 entry

Births June qtr 1931   
Fred Ellis   mmn  Burton    Spalding    7a   582   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MrsMoneypenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 19 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole, you are right I'm sure the age gap I'd got was just too big. Memory can play tricks and I'm sure if the dad was 89 he would not safest person on a pushbike anyway. A 20+ year gap sounds more probable but still large.