Author Topic: Wooden ..  (Read 3520 times)

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wooden ..
« on: Sunday 28 April 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me any scraps of information regarding the town/village of Wooden. I believe it was near Kelso or Jedburgh.  Looking for info regarding William Black born ca 1784 .. married an Elizabeth Wilson ( Willison) in about 1820.

Thanks..Dot
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden ..
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure that it was ever an actual village. Wooden House is just across the river from the town and still in the parish of Kelso.

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=55.5983&lon=-2.4168&layers=5&right=BingHyb

It seems to have been an estate with a big house, farm, mill etc, South of the house is the Wooden Burn, which flows over Wooden Linn and through Wooden Den before joining the River Tweed.

See https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/result?SITENAME=wooden&SITECOUNTRY=1&LOCAT_XY_RADIUS_M=2000&LOCAT_X_COORD=373000&LOCAT_Y_COORD=633000&LOCAT_EXTENTTYPE=RADIUS
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
1871 Census just says Wooden, Scotland, for William (living in Northumberland)

Could it be Woodend?

Scotland
Woodend, Aberdeenshire
Woodend, Argyll and Bute
Woodend, Borders
Woodend, Dumfries and Galloway
Woodend, East Ayrshire
Woodend, East Lothian
Woodend, Falkirk
Woodend, Fife
Woodend, Highland
Woodend, Moray
Woodend, North Lanarkshire
Woodend, Perth & Kinross
Woodend, South Lanarkshire
Woodend, Stirling
Woodend, West Lothian

Although a submitted Tree on Familysearch has William christened 5 April 1786
Woodend Aberdeenshire. No Parents named.
Strange to have an exact date with no extra info.

They also have him marrying;
William Black
Spouse's Name   Elisabeth Beattie
Event Date 19 Sep 1814
Event Place South Leith,Midlothian,Scotland
Spouse's Father's Name William Beattie

I cant confirm the christening someone else may be able too.
The Marriage is a Parish Record though on F/S.Org

1851 we have in Whittingham;
William Black   65
Elizabeth Black   60
Jane Black   25
John Black   16
William Black 3 Son born Whittingham***

I dont think a 57 year old woman would be giving birth in 1848!

Likely Birth Reg;
BLACK, WILLIAM, Mothers mn MILLS**** 
GRO Reference: 1847  D Quarter in ROTHBURY  Volume 25  Page 375

FreeBMD has a June 1847 Marriage for ROBERT Black to Elizabeth MILLS

Another child;
BLACK, ELIZABETH,    MILLS** 
GRO Reference: 1849  M Quarter in ROTHBURY  Volume 25  Page 436

So likely another Son of William/Elizabeth;
1851 Census
Biddlestone
Robert Black, 27, Head, Mar, Farm Lab,  born Northd, Rothbury
Elizabeth Black, 25, Wife
Elizabeth Black, 2, Daug
George Kinghorne, 37, Lodger

1851 we have;
Robert Black   31
Elizabeth Black   34
WILLIAM Black   13**
ELIZABETH      12****
Francis Black   9
Robert Black   7
Benjamin Black   5
Joseph Black   3
John Black    1

All down as born Whittingham, Mayo, Ireland (Mayo, Ireland dittoed from Family above them)

Sorry not much help with your original query.

Trish  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish
This is indeed the family..and some of it is correct.

Thank you Forforian
A notice in the Newcastle Chronicle ...16 December 1820...Marriages.... "Lately at Kelso Mr. W Black, shepherd of Ewartly Shank, Northumberland to Miss Elizabeth Willison"  ..along with the 1871 census showing William's birthplace as Wooden .. I have once again resumed my hunt for Wooden and as the family were Ag people  Wooden Farm may just be the answer.
Maps and info are great.
Records indicate William was a shepherd in Norhumberland and the Border between Scotland and England was not a major barrier to the shepherds of the early 1800's

Thanks again
Dot

Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Dot and your info seems well researched so others have the wrong maiden name for Elizabeth,

As you say the Northumberland and Scotland botders were no obstacles in those days for Shepherds and others. In my Family from NBL some married Scottish Women.

I would be interested where that sub Tree got that very exact christening from for William.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 09:52 BST (UK) »
Just an observation.

If you say 'Wooden' you would normally stress the first syllable, but in Woodend you would normally stress the second syllable, so they would sound quite different and you wouldn't confuse them.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone from Kelso how the Wooden in Wooden Estate is pronounced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
Just an observation.

If you say 'Wooden' you would normally stress the first syllable, but in Woodend you would normally stress the second syllable, so they would sound quite different and you wouldn't confuse them.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone from Kelso how the Wooden in Wooden Estate is pronounced.

I am from Kelso.   The way they say Wooden  sounds nothing like Woodend.They stress the first syllable. My aunt and uncle lived there.   He was the gamekeeper.
Norma.

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 04:48 BST (UK) »
Thankyou once again for all of the infor re Wooden... Forforian  the web sites are especially good..pictures even !!!
Trish … many folks don't follow the cardinal rule of 'prove' and 'prove' again...close nas and dates will often do !!!

Norma .. thanks so much for the info too. I believe the ancestors might have worked on that estate  as they were Ag people and William was a shepherd.

Now ..another question... could anyone point me in the direction of the history of Wooden.... short of a trip to Scotland ( darn!)

Dot

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 May 19 18:22 BST (UK) »
Once again my thanks to all...

The lost has been found...Wooden was indeed a settlement! I found it on an early map of the parish of Eckford AND it was mentioned  the 1864 book.. History and Antiquities of Roxburghshire....YEAH!!!

Onward  or rather Backwards to another generation
Dot