Author Topic: Adoption Certificate DoB  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Certificate DoB
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 18:04 BST (UK) »
2nd story I've read today with a good positive outcome, well done all!

Sadly it looks as though the twin didn't survive as there's no corresponding ref. no. either side.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 21:50 BST (UK) »
Which twin, Annie?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Which twin, Annie?

Monica  :)

Monica, my apologies, I misread Reply #16 in excitement...I thought this was the actual death of Winifred's mother who had died in childbirth (Twin Pregnancy)...Sorry  :-[

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

so unfortunately I had a reply today from the Sheriff Clerk and they are not prepared to grant my application. Here is a small excerpt from their reply.

Whilst I have every sympathy with this request I am not persuaded that it is appropriate to grant it – at least not at this stage without a hearing.  If there is to be a hearing then I would deem it necessary to intimate the application to the Lord Advocate as representing the public interest.

To be honest, although disappointed, before contacting them I had considered this a forlorn hope. But the whole process has been quick from start to finish and I did get the answer that I originally sought in regards to my Grans date of birth so have to be happy for that.

It's now back to reviewing the possible Winifreds who I identified earlier in the thread, hopefully that can lead somewhere.

Thanks to everyones positive comments and interest and I shall keep you updated as I pursue my elusive ancestors!

Gaz
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
That is really disappointing for you but as you say not entirely a total surprise.

Good luck with your quest and hopefully you may get the result you want through your own research.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaz

You have all the determination to get there...will just take a little longer for sure. Plan an extra day when you go the Borders to visit family to sit at the Hawick Hub and go through every possible birth entry you can on the SP terminal.

Let us know how you get on please!

Monica

PS: Annie, no need to apologise  ;) The other day, I spent half a thread referring to someone by the wrong name  :-[ Happens!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 May 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
"Whilst I have every sympathy with this request I am not persuaded that it is appropriate to grant it – at least not at this stage without a hearing.  If there is to be a hearing then I would deem it necessary to intimate the application to the Lord Advocate as representing the public interest."

Sad news for you & your father indeed but...

Would it not be worth enquiring what a 'hearing' would entail as a different person may have a different point of view especially if (s)he has an interest in their own genealogy?

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 May 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
I know that you are not allowed to change the given name of an older child when you adopt, but I believe that you are still free to rename a baby on adoption (i.e. before (s)he is old enough to recognise his/her name - there is probably some legal number of months after which the original name must be kept) so there is absolutely nothing to say that Winifred was her birth name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 May 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
I know that you are not allowed to change the given name of an older child when you adopt, but I believe that you are still free to rename a baby on adoption (i.e. before (s)he is old enough to recognise his/her name - there is probably some legal number of months after which the original name must be kept) so there is absolutely nothing to say that Winifred was her birth name.

Yes, you're right, but as there is only a few Winifreds it should be pretty easy to discount them from my research.
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo