Author Topic: Adoption Certificate DoB  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Certificate DoB
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
If you don't find a Winifred in their families then it's a good chance that was her birth name I would then rule out any Winifred's by marriage or death you can find which would possibly leave a few Winifred's births to check maybe you will find one born on her birth day this could be checked in Edinburgh or one of the family centres where you can view all BMD's up to the present day

Wow, The Clark (or Carke, constantly changes between birth, marriage and death registers!) is huge! But so far, no Winifreds. The Duncan side is proving slightly more problematic to trace.

However I did on your advice go through the Winifreds registered, I will double check, but I think the ones I could investigate further are

Winifred Joan E Barclay (Possibly Winifred Jean Barclay who can be discounted)
Winifred Margar(et) Fraser
Winifred Duff Jessiman
Winifred Violet Smith (a coincidence?)
Winifred Thomson (2 born in 1937, 1 in Aber East Dist and the other Newhills-can trace 1st one, possibly same person)
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
The Winifred Violet is the one that caught my eye. There is no reference to a Winnifred with that middle name in marriage or deaths in Scotland.

Violet is quite an English rather than a Scottish name. There are a few in England with that name (Winifred Violet).

As Wendy suggested earlier, a way forward would be to look at the more modern birth records in person at one of the main genealogy Centres in Scotland. I am not sure whether you are in Scotland?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
Don't worry about the Clark/e variations. Spellings only really became more rigid through the 20thC.

When searching, always good to search for Clark*

Monica

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
The Winifred Violet is the one that caught my eye. There is no reference to a Winnifred with that middle name in marriage or deaths in Scotland.

Violet is quite an English rather than a Scottish name. There are a few in England with that name (Winifred Violet).

As Wendy suggested earlier, a way forward would be to look at the more modern birth records in person at one of the main genealogy Centres in Scotland. I am not sure whether you are in Scotland?

Monica

I couldn't be any further, I live in Plymouth now, however most of my family still live in the Borders around Berwick/Kelso and I do visit several times a year. Do you happen to know which is the closest genealogy centre to either of them?

I've also emailed as you suggested earlier, so hopefully they can give me an answer.
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hawick looks to be the closest one www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/local-family-history-centres

Don't think there are any more at the moment.

Maybe someone here could offer to look up the Winifred Violet Smith entry when they are next in themselves at one of these centres.

I am still avoiding all DNA research personally  8) but maybe carrying on working through all the processes may bring up further clues for you.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
More specific details on the Heritage Hub at Hawick if you decide to go there in the future www.heartofhawick.co.uk/info/19/heritage_hub

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 May 19 15:02 BST (UK) »
As an aside...

If there was ever a story to make you realise you just have to keep on with your searches and stay hopeful, it is this one from today's news www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7015533/Irish-pensioner-81-grew-orphanage-meets-103-year-old-mother-time.html

Monica  ;)

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 May 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
As an aside...

If there was ever a story to make you realise you just have to keep on with your your searches and stay hopeful, it is this one from today's news www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7015533/Irish-pensioner-81-grew-orphanage-meets-103-year-old-mother-time.html

Monica  ;)

I read about that this morning, what a great story.

I tried a different angle and looked at female deaths in 1937, Aberdeen Eastern District, where Winifred Violet was registered and thought I had made the connection! But the dates are out by a month or so, perhaps the email I sent will give me the definitive answer. I've attached for you to have a look. Sad none the less.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 May 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Sad for sure  :-\

Monica