Author Topic: Agnes Jane Bisset marriage  (Read 671 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Jane Bisset marriage
« on: Friday 03 May 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for this lady for a friend.  Agnes Jane Bisset was from Lochrutton in Scotand prior to making her home in Bury.  She was on the 1911 census living with her Aunt and Uncle surname Stoba.  What I am trying to locate are the parish registers for the Congregational Church (Now United Reformed) Rochdale New Road Bury's marriage registers.  Bury archives haven't got it and neither as the new United Reformed Church.

The marriage I am looking for is John Donaldson Ashworth too Agnes Jane Bisset December quarter 1913 too see if it gives her father's name.

Any help you can give would be appreciated

Eileen

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Jane Bisset marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 19 10:09 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it's the same person?   Agnes Jane Bisset was born 25/6/1884, illeg. dau. of Helen Bisset but the birthdate of John Ashworth's wife was 5th May??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette  Thanks for getting back too me.  I found two Agnes Jane Bisset's originally one married a John Duckworth Ashworth a stockbroker and the other married a John Donaldson Ashworth a tailor.  The whole family is confusing but the one illegitimate daughter of Helen looks correct.  She had a sister Agnes Emma not found her either. Thanks for the help you are really incredible. Eileen

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 19 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
I can't see your marriage in 1913 but here is a run down of the family I can see.

William Bisset farm hand born c 1825 married before 1850
Janet McNeight.Mc Naughton born c 1826 Died 1892 Lochrutton (who has a sister Agnes born c1821)
children  I
             I

Jessie born 10.10.1850  Loch..... married Robert Robinson 1885 ,children before her marriage Agnes Jane 1873 and John McNaught Bisset 1875.
Helen Inglis Bisset born c 28.8.1853  died 1904 children John MacNaught Bissett with John McClune 1880,???? William N Bisset 1881,Agnes Jane 1884,Eumphremia N Bisset 1886,Wilhemina 1889
Agnes   born 17.2.1855 married Alexander Stoba 1883 at Kirkmahoe
John  born 9.3.1858 married Janet Law 1882 Glencorse -children Alice Jane 1884,John 1886,Janet 1889 and Agnes Emma 1893.

Agnes Jane and Agnes Emma can't be sister's as John and Janet have a daughter Alice Jane born 1884 who is with them on the census in 1891 and Alice Jane and Agnes Emma  are both their daughters in 1901.

It's possible that your Agnes Jane born 1884 was the daughter of Jessie rather than Helen but all the children are with Helen and their grandmother on the 1891 census,if they were Jessie's surely they would have gone with her like her two older children Agnes Jane 1873 and John M 1875.

Ciderdrinker

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your responses.

The friend did say that her grandmother Agnes Jane was illegitimate.  On the 1911 census the Agnes Jane and Agnes Emma had moved to Bury Lancashire and were living with their Aunty Agnes and Uncle Alexander Stoba I think you are right that they were not sisters but cousins

Information passed down in the family (garbled) was that the two girls were thought to be offspring's of a servant and the big house owner but none of that tallies with what I have found and what you have kindly donated.

Agnes Emma I think is John's daughter as they would have both been the Stoba's nieces and the age is correct for her on the 1911 census. 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
I viewed Agnes Jane Bisset's birth certificate and her mother is definitely shown as Helen.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 May 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
What I am trying to locate are the parish registers for the Congregational Church (Now United Reformed) Rochdale New Road Bury's marriage registers.  Bury archives haven't got it and neither as the new United Reformed Church.
The marriage I am looking for is John Donaldson Ashworth too Agnes Jane Bisset December quarter 1913 too see if it gives her father's name.

Was it the same church as New Road Independent Congregational Church, Rochdale Road, Bury ? Map ref. SD 807108. Bethel Independent Congregational Church, Henry Street merged with New Road. Independent. Became United Reformed Church. Church relocated to Parson's Lane 2007.  Parson's Lane United Reformed Church founded 2007.
Information from Lancashire Online Parish Clerks and GENUKI websites.
www.lan-opc.org.uk/Bury/Bury/index.html
GENUKI site has interactive maps showing locations of churches with coloured markers for various denominations. Viewing map, I selected Congregational/Independent, then option to show churches nearby, which found Parson's Lane U.F.
Have you looked in Lancashire Archives online catalogue?  I don't know if the printed catalogue of church register holdings is up-to-date. Early registers of the constituent churches are in Lancashire Archives. You can get the reference for them from the printed list and then look under that in the online catalogue to see if there are later additions.
Cowban