Author Topic: Which William!?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Which William!?
« on: Sunday 05 May 19 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

So some time ago i fell into the trap of doing copy and paste family history. Now I am doing a proper job, I am discovering what a mistake that was!

I have a distant uncle William Bennion bapt in Whitchurch Shropshire 27/8/1780.
I have him marrying twice, once to Sarah Price in 1806 and then to Mary Ashton in 1809.

Looking again it appears he had 2 sons John and William in Malpas Cheshire and then Joseph 1811, Sarah 1813, James 1814, Sam 1818, Thomas 1820 and Philip 1822 in Whitchurch Shropshire.
Obviously this overlaps with the marriage to Mary.

There are a lot of trees that just have the Malpas born sons and then have him marrying Mary. I think its clear he was just married to the one of these, and there are 2 William Bennions in the area.

I am favouring Sarah Price as the correct wife but am struggling to definitively prove this. Then I cant help but think the 2nd William will fit in my tree elsewhere, but I can only find one baptism around 1780.

Can anyone help?
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which William!?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 May 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
From FindMyPast - Marriage Licences:

William Bennion of Tilstock in the parish of Whitchurch, Salop, Farmer, bachelor and aged 25 and upwards and Sarah Price of Iscoyd (?) in the parish of Malpas, spinster aged 24 and upwards.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 May 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
Ah his parents were from Tilstock! My dilema now is I dont want to delete what I have for the William-Mary marriage, but cant find another baptism for William. He may well be a cousin. I do have a cousin William who was mentioned in a will, but haven't found his baptism. It would most likely have been in Shocklach, Cheshire.

Thanks for helping
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 May 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
John's baptism 7 September 1806 at Malpas, says that the child was born at Iscoyd.  Looking at other entries, my thoughts are that William and Sarah were NOT living in the area.  Most of the entries just give the child's name, the parents and "of Iscoyd" or "of Bickerton" or .....

William's baptism on 19 June 1808 just follows the normal pattern "William and Sarah Bennion of Iscoyd"

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
If it helps in any way at all to solve the mystery -

1806 marriage entry and the Marriage Bond - William Bennion signs his name with confidence.

1809 marriage at Whitchurch - William Bennion makes his mark.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
I’ll have to see if he was the exec on any family Wills, then look for his signature.

My next door neighbour Ev Bennion comes from the William and Mary line, so I’m keen to find where/if they do actually link.