Author Topic: Triangulation Confusion  (Read 1328 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Triangulation Confusion
« on: Monday 06 May 19 19:58 BST (UK) »
This isn't the first sets of matches causing me confusion on MyHeritage with those that are and aren't triangulated on the same segment and with a few overlapping both sets, but this is the one I'm currently looking at and would appreciate some thoughts.

I match CP, PL, DL and TD on

Chromosome 11 - 21915389-32266408 (rs10766893-rs2144522) 9cM 5,120  SNPs

I match CP, PL, TD and SE on

Chromosome 11 - 21915389-32266408 (rs10766893-rs2144522) 9cM 5,120 SNPs

I match CP, DL and EW on

Chromosome 11 - 21666088-26795139 (rs112480683-rs56306395) 6.1cM 3,072 SNPs

I can't see why DL doesn't triangulate with SE according to MyHeritage as it looks exactly the same segment and each match the three others on that segment.  They don't match each other at all according to the results.  Surely it isn't on the opposite side of the chromosome in light of the other matches?

EW is my father's second cousin.  CP and SE have quite large trees and there is one including PL on Ancestry that is large (appears to be a close relative). 

Initially I thought the link with CP and ME was via some families in the Cheddar area although still haven't found the connection possibly as missing some records.  However, the tree for PL shows no link with Cheddar but a lot in Wales including Pembrokeshire where SE has family but CP doesn't.  Unfortunately DL and TD have a few odd people in their tree and DL appears to have not been born in England so cannot trace their father's family as no details on tree but could look at mother's line but would appear likely to be Scottish judging by the surnames (although perhaps not).  TD and DL are fairly closely related, 1-2nd cousins a couple of times removed.  TD is Welsh so DL may have some Welsh ancestry on father's side.

My Cheddar line has the surnames Watkins and Coombs, the former may have links to Pembrokeshire if the claims by some probably distant American relatives are true but they have no evidence other than family folklore much of which I've been able to disprove with paper evidence.  There are a lot of Coombs in Somerset but unsure where mine came from before the turned up in Cheddar in the mid 1700s.

Am I wrong in thinking that all should triangulate and perhaps the fact that DL and EW don't with all the others may just be down to the shared cM across all being smaller than 6cM so not showing?

Haven't yet messages any of the others yet, although had contact with SE as she contacted me through Ancestry.  I am also not having much luck getting response out of people with no trees on Ancestry or MyHeritage unfortunately which is a little frustrating and means reluctant to bother messaging them.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Triangulation Confusion
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
Anybody care to comment on this post or am I blacklisted for DNA related help unlike most other posters?

I'm not expecting a conclusive answer but it would be nice to know if I'm completely barking up the wrong tree so to speak or have grounds to be confused.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
I don't think you're black listed, at least not as far as I know!

I tend to answer queries where I know the answer, have personal insight into a similar situation, and/or understand the query.

I'm afraid in this instance that none of the above apply!!

I read your query initially, I have just reread it, and still don't fully understand. My brain doesn't work as well as it used to, so my fault, not yours.

Hope someone can give you some thoughts.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 May 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Why would you think you were blacklisted?

I have now read your post three times and other than sitting down spending time drawing diagrams I am at a loss as to how to tackle it. Maybe if you showed us a visual and put first names rather than initials it might be easier to grasp what is going without using a lot of time trying to figure it all out.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 May 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
I agree with Margaret and Craclyn. Perhaps simplifying via a diagram would be the best way of conveying your problem.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 May 19 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hope you get back to us, smudwhisk.
Would like to help if possible.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 May 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
Margaret, It looks as though smudwhisk has not been online for a couple of days so we may have to wait for a response if other commitments are taking precedence.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 May 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies ;D and sorry for being somewhat grouchy (and paranoid).  Been suffering from a major flare up of auto-immune condition with chronic fatigue over recent weeks and struggling to say the least at the moment. :-\ 

I'll see if I can sort out a visual representation possibly through DNA Painter when I can concentrate a bit more.  Just want to fall asleep at the moment. :-X  I've several queries along these lines I cannot get my head around unfortunately and all linked to MyHeritage matches.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 May 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hope you will soon be feeling a little better.